Spring into the Dales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
Why can't I print off the entry form?

Whats an xps document?

It keeps asking me to save it and every time I try to print it it does the same thing.

Never mind I'll just e mail the organiser.:headshake:

asterix

Comrade Member
Can't back out now as I have submitted my entry.

All I have to do now is a bit of practice and break in my new Brooks saddle:ohmy:. Unfortunately my theory that being a Brooks user already would make this easy was wrong.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
One thing folks - on the way back, the route takes us via a footbridge over the river Wharfe between Addingham and Ilkley. It is okay if you have flat-soled cycling shoes (SPD or similar). If you use Look pedals or any other system that requires whacking big cleats on the soles of your shoes, consider packing some cleat covers! You have to shoulder your bike and carry it up some steps to the road above.

If you were riding a recumbent, I think you'd have to do a 4 km detour round that part of the route via Bolton Bridge and the B6160.

Another obstacle not mentioned on the route sheet is the Col de Salem Mill. You will ascend/descend this monster twice. The first time won't feel too bad with fresh legs as you go to pick up your card from the top floor of the mill. Doing it again 5 or 6 hours later after winching your way over some choice Yorkshire hills is another thing altogether... ;)

trio25

Über Member
ColinJ said:
One thing folks - on the way back, the route takes us via a footbridge over the river Wharfe between Addingham and Ilkley. It is okay if you have flat-soled cycling shoes (SPD or similar). If you use Look pedals or any other system that requires whacking big cleats on the soles of your shoes, consider packing some cleat covers! You have to shoulder your bike and carry it up some steps to the road above.

Surely some nice man will carry me and my bike over it so the type of pedals I use don't matter :sad:

ColinJ

trio25 said:
Surely some nice man will carry me and my bike over it so the type of pedals I use don't matter :biggrin:
Ho ho - you remind me of another cyclist I know. She is even more petite than you (about 5' 1") and she too is always mountain biking, road riding, running, swimming... Most weekends she will be away at some campsite in the Dales or Cumbria with her bike and walking boots. Last year she was with an equally petite friend and their car got bogged down in the field where they'd pitched their tent. She had just uttered the immortal words "Oh dear, if only we had a big strong man to help push the car out of the mud!" when suddenly about half a dozen huge grinning guys popped their heads over the adjacent dry stone wall and shouted "Need some help love?".

5 minutes later the two women were driving off down the lane waving goodbye to their mud-encrusted rescuers...

As for the SITD footbridge - the bridge itself is okay. It is big enough to ride your bike over (though you shouldn't really). It's the steps up to it, and worse, the steps up from it to the road that are tricky when your feet are sliding about.

1464376524_de3bae436e.jpg

(found on flickr)

I think that's the one. The picture looks like it was taken from the steps up to the road.

trio25

Über Member
Yes redbike you didn't do very well at carrying my bike that day!

So why are we going over a footbridge, where is the road?

ColinJ

trio25 said:
So why are we going over a footbridge, where is the road?
sitd_footbridge.jpg

The bridge is in the bottom RH corner, Grid ref: SE 08366 49949.

The official route is shown in red and takes us down a scenic road past Beamsley. It's nicer than the alternative route which I've shown in pink down the B6160. The reason for the footbridge? Answer - it's the only way across the Wharfe unless we went another 3.5 km down the road and then came back up the A65.

bonj2

I would go in for this but i've already entered roses to wrags 200 on the 18th - I think a 200 and then a hilly 110 in one weekend may be a bit much!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Good write up, ColinJ.

Just FYI...we stayed at the New Inn in Appletreewick in January. Not great. Cold, unfriendly and not cheap. To make it worse, the MTB livery place is a separate building and you have to pay a fiver for each bike for the night.

Steer clear. The other pub (can't remember the name but has the amazing new barn) is wonderful but doesn't do accommodation.

ColinJ

Well, we can forget about the footbridge! I've heard from Chris Crossland the SITD organiser and he has changed that part of the route for this year's event. Here is the new route on Bikely. I don't think I've ridden the roads on the changed part of the route before so that will make a nice change.

trio25

Über Member
I thought it sounded fun, but then I am a crazy mountain biker! Now I need to replot my ride for the day!

Top Bottom