Spring into the Dales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
bonj said:
presumably that guy has won more audaxes than anybody else? :smile:
They get 2 points for each 200 km audax (the minimum qualifying distance), 3 for a 300 and so on. You'd be amazed at how many points some of them accumulate in a year. Hang on, I'll consult the records...

Yikes, the record up to 2006 was 287 points, being equivalent to 28,700 km of audax rides in one year! That's averaging 552 km a week or 79 km a day (17,850 miles, 343 miles a week, 49 miles a day). :smile:

I love cycling, but I don't love it that much!

bonj2

ColinJ said:
They get 2 points for each 200 km audax (the minimum qualifying distance), 3 for a 300 and so on. You'd be amazed at how many points some of them accumulate in a year. Hang on, I'll consult the records...

Yikes, the record up to 2006 was 287 points, being equivalent to 28,700 km of audax rides in one year! That's averaging 552 km a week or 79 km a day (17,850 miles, 343 miles a week, 49 miles a day). :ohmy:

I love cycling, but I don't love it that much!

:rolleyes: please say 28,700 horizontal km :biggrin::ohmy:

PaulB

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
Yikes, the record up to 2006 was 287 points, being equivalent to 28,700 km of audax rides in one year! That's averaging 552 km a week or 79 km a day (17,850 miles, 343 miles a week, 49 miles a day).

I can say without fear of contradiction that that is dangerous. People with vascular disease usually develop it due to unhealthy lifestyles but cyclists who ride too much also get a vascular condition in the legs similar to these diseases. It's known that anyone cylcing more than 15,000 kilometres a year risks having one of the major arteries suppliying the mid and lower leg becoming occluded leading to claudication and eventually, possibly gangrene and amputation. It's not pleasant, that's for sure.

ColinJ

PaulB said:
I can say without fear of contradiction that that is dangerous. People with vascular disease usually develop it due to unhealthy lifestyles but cyclists who ride too much also get a vascular condition in the legs similar to these diseases. It's known that anyone cylcing more than 15,000 kilometres a year risks having one of the major arteries suppliying the mid and lower leg becoming occluded leading to claudication and eventually, possibly gangrene and amputation. It's not pleasant, that's for sure.
There's not much chance of me doing those kinds of distances, but that sounds pretty grim! :becool:

Is this the problem that some long distance riders get where the bloodflow in the Iliac artery (?) gets cut off leading to a loss of strength in the leg? I've heard of that before, but it is supposed to be quite rare. Pro racer Stuart O'Grady had surgery for that.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
I think you will find that it can be...not that it is.

The fact that it CAN be must mean there is a danger. Therefore, it IS dangerous. You MIGHT get away with it, on the other hand, you may not.

asterix

Comrade Member
There's no danger of me cycling over 15,000km a year..:ohmy:

Noodley

That's me booked into Haworth YH for Friday and Saturday nights. I shall be going for a ride on the Saturday as well, probably from Hebden Bridge if anyone wants to meet for a pie and a pint...

Blonde

In 2006 I cycled 10,000 miles, which is over 15,000km. You'd never do owt if you worried that much about all the "risks".
I should be there on Sunday unless the weather is completely pants, so if you see me, do say hello! I'll be on a Serotta (with go-faster flames) if weather is good, or if rain is likely, on a Sunday September - and I'll be wearing a Nike cap if that helps!

ColinJ

Noodley said:
That's me booked into Haworth YH for Friday and Saturday nights. I shall be going for a ride on the Saturday as well, probably from Hebden Bridge if anyone wants to meet for a pie and a pint...
If you aren't planning on going crazy on Saturday, I'd be happy to show you around some of the local hills but I don't think that I'm currently fit enough to do a hard ride on Saturday and then be in a state to enjoy SITD on Sunday. You'd be doing 27 km and 550 m of climbing riding to Hebden Bridge and back.

Do you have any particular route/distance/speed in mind?

BTW - I dreamed up a really contrived photo-opportunity for you t'other night! Don't what is going on with my mind... :wacko:

Blonde said:
I should be there on Sunday unless the weather is completely pants, so if you see me, do say hello! I'll be on a Serotta (with go-faster flames) if weather is good, or if rain is likely, on a Sunday September - and I'll be wearing a Nike cap if that helps!
Don't look for the bike, look for the Blonde! There will be 100-odd bikes but probably only a handful of women.

I'll certainly be saying hello at the start because that is the only time I'll be seeing you, unless you and Mark take a particularly long cafe stop at Gargrave! Actually, you'd probably have time for the cafe stop and still be away before I get there...

The local forecast is currently looking good for Saturday and Sunday. I checked 3 different sites and they all agree. :biggrin:

Svendo

Guru
Howdy,

I'm signed up here at CC too now, same user name obnov. I'll be there on Sunday for the Spring in the Dales. Weather should be nice too, so no wimping out allowed! :wacko:

I'm off on bike to Chester to see my Mum today, back tomorrow. Might get train part of way back if it's a strong NE wind like today tho.

On Sunday I'll be on my silver Focus Izalco again, but I think I'll wear my New Mexico top (yellow with red native american sun symbol on it.) Look forward to seeing y'all there. :biggrin:

ColinJ

amrushton said:
You could go for a flat ride ride on the Saturday round to Hollingworth Lake perhaps? and/or do the shorter ride on the Sunday
I'll see what Noodley has in mind. If he wants to make the most of his visit and do a long hard ride on Saturday, I might just ride 25 km or so with him and then turn and head for home.

I'll definitely be doing Spring Into The Dales rather than Leap Into The Aire. Slowly, but I will do it!

Svendo said:
Howdy,

I'm signed up here at CC too now, same user name obnov. I'll be there on Sunday for the Spring in the Dales. Weather should be nice too, so no wimping out allowed! :wacko:

I'm off on bike to Chester to see my Mum today, back tomorrow. Might get train part of way back if it's a strong NE wind like today tho.

On Sunday I'll be on my silver Focus Izalco again, but I think I'll wear my New Mexico top (yellow with red native american sun symbol on it.) Look forward to seeing y'all there. :biggrin:
Ah, nice to see you here as well as on BikeRadar.

I will be riding round at an easy pace so anybody who fancies that can come along with me. You pretty much know what to expect after that ride we did a couple of weeks ago... :biggrin:

I know the route except for the changed section between Bolton Abbey and Silsden and I will have my GPS programmed for the event so navigation won't be a problem in the slow group!

I wouldn't be at all offended if you, longers and any other faster CC riders just say hello at the start and prefer to go off at your own speed.

Top Bottom