Springs here, time to dump the helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
[QUOTE 1334191"]
A helmet saved James Cracknells life, according to the Doc, who treated him in the States after his crash.

It really was a case of HELMETS SAVE LIVES

And if anyone has an issue with the above, then by all means go and see if you can fold a sheet of A4 paper in half seven times.

[/quote]

How did the doctor know that?
He knew that someone who had been wearing a helmet had not died, but that does not mean that he would have died had he not been wearing it.

I know what happened to me, once; the wing mirror of a passing lorry brushed through my hair (which is short) but did not bang my head. Had I been wearing a lid then it would have taken the knock. What would I have thought about that; that the helmet had saved my life?

[QUOTE 1334196"]
Dunno. Maybe I'm thinking along the lines of that they are a Neurologist and as such know what they are talking about?

Your second pragraph is irrelevant. Carry on though, Match of the Day 2 is on in 43 minutes so I have time to kill - or not if time were wearing a helmet.
[/quote]

Exactly - just a Neurologist, they have no idea regarding the change of physics that a helmet would have.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
JC was hit on the back of his head by a truck's wing mirror. Cycle helmet's aren't designed for that impact, but having 'something there' MAY have saved him. It was a 'million to one' accident though.

The guy was lucky, thank goodness.

[QUOTE 1334191"]
A helmet saved James Cracknells life, according to the Doc, who treated him in the States after his crash.

It really was a case of HELMETS SAVE LIVES

And if anyone has an issue with the above, then by all means go and see if you can fold a sheet of A4 paper in half more then seven times.
[/quote]

So we should take the doctor's word?

If his medical expert advocates helmets we should accept their advice unequivocally and wear helmets?

[QUOTE 1334202"]

As for the Doctors word - I dunno. But the fact they are an expert on...I'll let you make your own mind up.
[/quote]

Doctors experts on helmets?

NHS taking ideas from the AA?

frank9755

Cyclist
There are so many "my helmet saved me" stories that the only possible conclusion is that helmeted cyclists are considerably more accident-prone than non-helmeted ones.

I think there is something in that.

You would expect that ability to control a bike would follow some sort of normal distribution, like other human abilities. Some people do seem to have a lot of crashes. So the right answer isn't necessarily the same for different people.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
[QUOTE 1334200"]
Then in that case I expect and demand to see that now with every helmet sold comes a warning.

Is not designed for impact should you hit the back of your head.:rolleyes:
[/quote]

Being serious, my Bell Sweep R and Volt helmets are not designed for this... Both Pro Level helmets -

They are great for keeping my bonce cool though. and my missus and kids happy. :wacko: :whistle:

dondare

Über Member
[QUOTE 1334206"]
Er no.

Doctors experts on head injuries and how to treat them.

<The author is dismayed at the intellectual level displayed in Commuting nowadays.>
[/quote]

Fixed that for you.

[QUOTE 1334206"]
Er no.

Doctors experts on head injuries and what can prevent them.

<The author is dismayed at the intellectual level displayed in Commuting nowadays.>
[/quote]

So if Dr John Heyworth the president of the British Association for Accident and Emergency Medicinewere to imply that helmets were a good thing, should we listen to him?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Expecting a neurologist to understand materials science and helmet testing is like expecting a latin professor to know how to fix a car. The most you can hope for is some level of scientific and critical thinking when looking at the studies.

Expecting a neurologist to understand materials science and helmet testing is like expecting a latin professor to know how to fix a car. The most you can hope for is some level of scientific and critical thinking when looking at the studies.

Q: What's the difference between a Doctor and God?

A: God knows his limitations

frank9755

Cyclist
[QUOTE 1334211"]
[if] humpty dumpty ... had been wearing a helmet then I think all the Kings horses and men could have put him back together again.
[/quote]

I believe that you do!
laugh.gif

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Of course, my comments are flip, I got LUCKY, my point was that a helmet would have done nothing on the day, only cost the van driver more.

When it comes to helmet debates I often say my Livestrong band looked over me that day, as I feel such a comment is up there with "I KNOW without a helmet i'd be dead"

If you get me?

That said, its PERSONAL Choice , wear one if you want, dont if you dont, but dont try and force your ideals on everyone else, I dont wear one, but I would never pass comment on someone who does wear one, however people enjoy saying to me "You should wear a helmet you"

3 Accidents in 3 years, no helmet on any of them, twice was hospitalised !

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
If you'd worn a helmet, you'd have been saved from those 3 crashes. Praise the $GodofHelmetsDeity. #HelmetReligeonistasApplyHere.

If that were true i'd wear 'em

Sadly when I did wear a helmet, for the months after the serious accident, I GENUINELY felt drivers were passing closer, giving up less space and getting closer to my rear wheel etc.

Could have just been paranoid from the accident like

#banVWM&forgethelmets

Top Bottom