Sprint / climbing strength?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
back when I were younger (and cycling was my only form of transport) I could happily stand up and give it some oomph to get up a hill if I didn't want to change down a gear, or had no gears to change down.

I've got myself back to the point of being able to complete a good distance (did my first 20km ride a week or so back) but unless I go for a low gear and whisk my way up the hill, I'm knackered.

This is stopping me getting out on the mountain bike as, to get anywhere when you live in a small valley, you must climb at some point.

other than simply grinding it, going out every couple of days and riding up a big hill, how can I get some of this strength / stamina back?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Keep cycling and cycle regularly.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If 'Rammy' is Ramsbottom and the hill that you want to sprint up is Ramsbottom Rake, I can understand why the older you is lacking the 'oomph' to tackle it properly! :laugh:

I went to watch the national hillclimb championship there about 20 years ago and have ridden the climb myself a couple of times - it is a toughie! Some great photos in THIS GALLERY!

And here is an exciting (but wobbly!) video to give the competitor's view...

[At 4:22]

"Did you enjoy that?"

"Huh, huh. huh, huh, huh, huh, huh, huh, huh, huh... NO!!!!"

^_^

Last edited:

ianrobo

Regular
find a short hill and do hill repeats, almost perfect and when you climb keep yourself out of the red no matter how slow you are.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
If 'Rammy' is Ramsbottom and the hill that you want to sprint up is Ramsbottom Rake, I can understand why the older you is lacking the 'oomph' to tackle it properly! :laugh:

I went to watch the national hillclimb championship there about 20 years ago and have ridden the climb myself a couple of times - it is a toughie! Some great photos in THIS GALLERY!

And here is an exciting (but wobbly!) video to give the competitor's view...

[At 4:30]

"Did you enjoy that?"

"Huh, huh. huh, huh, huh, huh, huh, huh, huh, huh... NO!!!!"

^_^

Yes, to get out onto the moor I have to climb that, I'm happy whisking my way up that in a low gear (although I am quite worn out at the top), it's short hills where I'd rather keep the speed up instead of come to a complete crawl.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Keep at it. Ride more. Don't forget, honking out of the saddle on an MTB isn't the best way to climb, unless you can lock the suspension, or the hill is short (also the tyres are energy sapping). Off road then you've got to spin, so when you do hit an obstacle, you can accelerate over it.

Mountain biking is about climbing. Even on a road or non technical climb, you'll have to climb tempo on the MTB. I've got a couple of climbs I'll lock the suspension, they are a mix of broken tarmac and gravel, but one is a 12 minute climb, the other 20 minutes. I rarely lock my suspension for any other climbs. Short ones, you can just attack out of the saddle, but keep riding, that's where the fitness comes in.

Remember it's about keeping traction, otherwise it's a hike a bike. There is a local steep climb off the canal near me, but it's very narrow, just 1m wide with a fence on one side, and broken cobbles or roots (3 cobbles wide). Not easy with MTB bars as you have no-where to go. I've never cleared it as I'll lose traction at some point. If it was wider, it would be easy.

CXRAndy

Guru
Keep cycling and cycle regularly.

This above, vary cadence, mostly spin, but sometimes low cadence for leg strength. 20km isnt really far enough to build endurance or strength, unless doing it daily route. Just keep riding.

When first started to ride, I did a route around Rutland water, first time I had to walk up some hills, second time after a bit more riding, I completed the route using the easiest gearing on my bike, third time, I rode around on the big ring. That was over the course of a few months riding

OP
OP
Black Sheep
I was just starting to get somewhere but at the end of June my mum went into hospital, my dad has Alzheimers and I could tell from a couple of phone calls he was struggling a bit and I wasn't happy leaving him to cope on his own so popped across to stay with him while mum was in hospital, unfortunately she never came home so I stayed longer, planned the funeral and stayed longer still while my elder brother sorted out a care package to support him - I've now got no motivation to get out on the bike, although part of me is convinced it'll help.

Top Bottom