Sprint Sintero Hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone. First post here, hoping you can help.

I know nothing about bikes as haven’t ridden since a child. After a bit of research it seems a hybrid is best for my needs and I’m not prepared to spend a fortune at this stage as I’m not certain I’ll stick to it. I want to commute to work and around parks.

Long story short, been to all the big chains and everywhere is sold out of bikes. Found what I think is a good bike but it’s from Bulgaria (don’t think this is a problem) but I can’t find any reviews online to save my life! Before I purchase, could you knowledgeable people please take a look and tell me if the below is a decent bike for the price (£550). It’s about the only one in stock and I do want to get going ASAP but I also don’t want to buy junk. Many thanks.

https://fudgescyclestore.com/product/sprint_sintero_plus_man_hyrbid_bike

OP
OP
L

Leejaneagles

It would be that or the cheaper Halfords option the Carter’s Crossfire 2 hybrid at £325. So basically, is the Bulgarian bike worth 200 more? Sorry if these are stupid questions.

vickster

Legendary Member
What makes you think you need suspension? You're paying for something extra unnecessarily unless going off road (not needed for most paths through parks and certainly not the road)

Fudges are a decent retailer and the bike may be ok, but taking suspension off the table will likely get you something better or cheaper - same bmodel range, no bouncy front
https://fudgescyclestore.com/product/sprint_sintero_rigid_hybrid_bike
Spec looks reasonable for £450
https://www.sprint-bicycles.com/en/bikes/SINTERO-PLUS-MAN-RIGID-28quot-20171.html

There's no reason why a bike from a Bulgarian company should be any worse than from a French one, Spanish one, American - the frames of mass market bikes are all made in a handful of factories in the Far East as are the components (which will be the same broadly at any given price point) :smile:

What size do you need? Ask Fudges about the warranty

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Leejaneagles

Thanks for the help. I really am a novice and didn’t even know that particular model had suspension or if the suspension made a price different for that matter.

I went to Halfords earlier but they didn’t even have a single bike in stock but recommended me the Crossfire 2 at £325.

I then went to a local Fudges where the guy was very helpful and actually had a lot of in stock to drive away same day, which I very nearly did. It happened to be the £550 one. Another chap in front of me had the same level of experience and same questions as me and did impulsively go for it and I nearly followed right behind him but when I couldn’t get a Google review I decided to hold off.

I don’t think the Salesman was up-selling, he seemed to genuinely think that was the bike for me but he never mentioned suspension but then I never said I wouldnt be using it on rougher terrain (though I’ll never be on mountains). I also did specify I’d rather it be ASAP in next few days so I’m sure he guided both me and the guy in front to the bikes he had in stock.

I notice his one also had 27 gears as opposed to less on Halfords but I don’t really know how important that is or how often I’ll be changing them. I am a complete novice to cycling so would need to figure that out before commuting on busy roads to London.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Do you have a local bike recycling project that could provide you with something reliable for £100, to see if you like cycling?

OP
OP
L

Leejaneagles

Ive not heard of these but I am quite happy to spend up to the £500 on the right bike just to see how I get on. I can 100% say I enjoy cycling so even if I never get up the guts to do my commute on busy roads in rush hour, I’d like a bike to go around parks etc or into the nearest town.

I drive everywhere at the moment and can’t stand jogging so the bike is for my fitness and fun first and if I feel confident enough after a few weeks I’ll try a commute.

vickster

Legendary Member
The number of gears doesn’t mean a lot per se, it’s more about the gaps between them. Are you close to Fudges in Epsom or Paddington? Either way you likely don’t need suspension for the parks in either area. 40mm tyres on the rigid one will be more than adequate. You’ll enjoy a commute on roads more without the bouncy forks and you’ll be able to have proper mudguards to protect you and the bike on wet or muddy commutes. Saving the £100 on the purchase will enable you to get some accessories.
Where will you commute to and from?

All uphill

Still rolling along
There’s nothing much like that around Epsom at least
Ah, okay.

What a shame.

OP
OP
L

Leejaneagles

Yes it was the Epsom one I was in! I’d eventually be commuting from Sutton into Brentford, West London, but I imagine I’m some way off the fitness/confidence/experience levels to do that for some time. If you’re familiar with the journey, it’s pretty much every type of road you could get, with some 3 lane dual carriageways, busy thin roads and some park crossings etc.

Comfort is really important to me, I’d probably be looking to upgrade the seat to the comfiest possible, do you think the suspension wouldn’t help with comfort?

On the whole though, that bike at £550 (guy actually said he’d do it for £500) wouldn’t be a terrible piece of junk or likely to break or be really uncomfortable for me? I’ll ask him if he has the same model without the suspension if you think that’ll be more comfortable.

Thanks again.

vickster

Legendary Member
That’s an ok and straightforward commute, more so once Richmond Park reopens. It’s quite far though, so work up time it
(I’m in West Sutton, no parks around that you can’t use a rigid hybrid in)
I had a suspension hybrid at one point, hated it on roads even with fork locked out, bouncy and energy sapping!

Comfort is highly subjective, the fat tyres will help smooth the bumps and you won’t be dragging the weight of a suspension fork

not sure which 3 lane road you’d need to use (can a dual carriageway have 3 lanes?)

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Leejaneagles

Rather embarrassingly, I may have got the Bike wrong. It looks exactly the same and maybe it’s just a word change but I’ve just found this:

https://www.sprint-bicycles.com/en/bikes/SPRINT-WHISPER-28quot1.html

I distinctly remember seeing the word ‘WHISPER’ on the Bike in store. The one I posted originally is called ‘Sintero’. They both look the same, not sure if there is any difference.

The one that was £500 100% had Whisper on it though. Does that change opinions?

vickster

Legendary Member
Much better, no suspension, slimmer tyres, lighter. Looks decent spec esp given the shortages.
Ask the guy at fudges to set it up for you and take it for a spin :smile: Ride out to the hospital for example, the roads in Epsom town centre are as potholed and rough as any you’ll experience so will give you an idea of comfort!

OP
OP
L

Leejaneagles

Thanks, think I might get it tomorrow then. If that’s a decent bike for my budget. My main concern was completely getting my pants pulled down with a combination of bike shortages and my clear and obvious ignorance on bikes to the Salesman. But it appears they are a good and honest shop.

My only concern, is I cannot find that version of the ‘Whisper’ on their website. They have a white and blue Whisper for 700, otherwise the one that looks exactly like the Bike I saw in the store at the exact price he quoted is the grey and green one I posted originally for £550. But that one has suspension and like I say, I know the one I saw said ‘Whisper’ on the bar.

Maybe I’ll print the 2 specs off and ask him which bike it is.

Top Bottom