Sprinters being eliminated? (May contain SPOILERS)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kbrook

Veteran
Is this normal? I thought they got together and formed a group at the back so this didn't happen? I obviously have this wrong, can someone explain please?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Is this normal? I thought they got together and formed a group at the back so this didn't happen? I obviously have this wrong, can someone explain please?

It was a short stage and pretty horrible from a sprinters point of view. I think Cav missed the cut by about 30 minutes! To be fair, the sprinters said before the race that this could happen, but they were ignored or the ACO / UCI were okay with the consequences.

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
It was a short stage and pretty horrible from a sprinters point of view. I think Cav missed the cut by about 30 minutes! To be fair, the sprinters said before the race that this could happen, but they were ignored or the ACO / UCI were okay with the consequences.
Thanks but you would think with a short stage that the gaps would be smaller, I understand it was hilly. Also why didn't they get together at the back when presumably there would be too many to eliminate. Seems a shame that the best sprinters are gone, the boring flat stages are going to be even more boring!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Thanks but you would think with a short stage that the gaps would be smaller

The time cut is based on a percentage of the finisher's time, so a shorter stage means a shorter overall time, which means a smaller margin for the cut-off.

Also why didn't they get together at the back when presumably there would be too many to eliminate.

They did - there was a big group that came in with about two minutes to spare, but there were a number of stragglers who weren't able to hang on even with that group. The autobus/gruppetto is usually pretty good at calculating the pace they need to ride at to finish inside the cut, but they've still got to be seen to be making an effort or they'll get fined by the commissaires. They were about 30 minutes behind the race winner, and as @Milkfloat says, Cav was another 30 minutes behind them, so it's not like he only just missed the cut.

Seems a shame that the best sprinters are gone, the boring flat stages are going to be even more boring!

You know what, I think it might even have the opposite effect - you won't get the big trains hammering it on the front, so any bunch finish will be more open to a wider range of riders, and it's also more likely that a break will succeed in staying away.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Thanks but you would think with a short stage that the gaps would be smaller, I understand it was hilly. Also why didn't they get together at the back when presumably there would be too many to eliminate. Seems a shame that the best sprinters are gone, the boring flat stages are going to be even more boring!

He was dropped on the very first climb of the day, he finished 1 hour behind Thomas. As sprinter, there is no way I would drop significantly back risking my race to help a rival.

edit - cross posted with Smut - his answers are better than mine.

KneesUp

Guru
I agree that without sprinters it is less interesting, but
Cav is past it and will retire soon.
It does look that way - he's been distant even in the sprint finishes so far. You can't out-sprint father time.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Cav is past it and will retire soon.

That's cold! I considered exactly the same thing but in less blunt terms. You could have added a smiley or at least entertained the possibility of being wrong!

I hear he refused to abandon; he finished the stage, and was praised by Prudhomme for 'respecting the tour' or something.
Speculation: that wouldn't be a bad way to end his LAST tour.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I hear he refused to abandon; he finished the stage, and was praised by Prudhomme for 'respecting the tour' or something.
Speculation: that wouldn't be a bad way to end his LAST tour.

They suggested on the Cycling podcast yesterday that his ride had a 'valedictory feel' about it. I must admit I was thinking along the same lines. Huge respect to him for plugging away and finishing the stage - it takes real guts to do that, shows the class of the man and his respect for the race, which is repaid in kind. One of the all-time greats, undoubtedly.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It's been quite a day! I don't suppose there's still anyone left out there, so this should be complete now:

BIB RIDER TEAM WITHDRAW
11 URAN RIGOBERTO TEAM EF EDUCATION FIRST - DRAPAC P/B CANNONDALE DNS
25 GALLOPIN TONY AG2R LA MONDIALE WITHDRAWAL
103 GAVIRIA RENDON FERNANDO QUICK - STEP FLOORS WITHDRAWAL
123 GRUZDEV DMITRIY ASTANA PRO TEAM OUTSIDE THE TIME LIMIT
148 ZABEL RICK TEAM KATUSHA ALPECIN WITHDRAWAL
163 GROENEWEGEN DYLAN TEAM LOTTO NL - JUMBO WITHDRAWAL
171 GREIPEL ANDRÉ LOTTO SOUDAL WITHDRAWAL
177 SIEBERG MARCEL LOTTO SOUDAL WITHDRAWAL
188 TAARAMÄE REIN DIRECT ENERGIE OUTSIDE THE TIME LIMIT
Strange to see Taaramae outside the limit, anyone know why?

Top Bottom