sprocket/chain noise when rotating chain backwards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hi all,

Probably a stupid question but when I rotate the chain back wards i.e. the back wheel is not moving but just the chain moving over the cassette etc, I hear a sort of clattering sound that is quite random but quite loud.

Sort of metal knocking sound its not constant like I say its random and only happens on a few sprockets !. Since you dont tend to pedal back wards down the road and I cant hear it when pedalling the right way should I not worry !?.

I think it must be the chain knocking something when on those offending sprockets its not the free hub as with the wheel off and rotating by hand cant hear a thing and it does not do it on all rear sprockets.

Any ideas ?, anything to worry about ?.

Thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can be chain line..worry if it does it pedalling....

The chain isn't under tension when back pedalling, so won't sit 'right'......

If it runs sweet when pedalling then it's spot on.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Thanks Fossy I will keep an ear out for it.

strange though why its just on some of the rear sprockets, although chainline does sound the most logical explanation

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
The chain came with the bike and has done a little under 800 miles now, I dont think its dry I do spray some GT80 on it once a week !?.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
bad boy said:
The chain came with the bike and has done a little under 800 miles now, I dont think its dry I do spray some GT80 on it once a week !?.

Try oil instead and chuck the GT85 in the bin.

Top Bottom