SPuDs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
Looking to buy a set of MTB styley pedals. Any good places to look price wise? Wiggle are doing the M770 for £44.49 at the mo. Is that good?

I'd get 10% off that if there's anything on there for a fiver I can order at the same time!

Dave5N

Über Member
If you're not already committed cleatwise, get some Time ATacs. Uncloggable, easy (no, painless) to maintain, and cheap to boot.

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
I am committed cleat-wise. My old bike has SPDs on it and to change make would mean a second pair of shoes (or pedals!).

SamNichols

An SPD pedal is an SPD pedal, so they're all pretty much the same: depends if you want a platform or not really. So, yes, if you hunt around you may get a pair for less than that, and the lower parts of the range are cheaper, but that seems like an ok price.

barq

I sort of agree with Sam that SPDs are all a bit similar, but of course you have got weight differences, mud clearing (look for 'open' designs) and the issues of bearing quality and sealing. I guess if I were looking for comparisons to Shimano, then Chain Reaction are good for some other brands. I've had a fairly happy time with Ritchey SPD pedals from them.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ritchey SPD pedals use the Shimano cleat.
I've got Shimano,. Ritchey and some cheap Lidl SPDs, and they all seem pretty good after a year or more of use.

MichaelM

Guru
Shimano M 520's are well thought of. £17.50 from Merlin Cycles.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=720&categoryId=81

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
barq said:
I guess if I were looking for comparisons to Shimano, then Chain Reaction are good for some other brands. I've had a fairly happy time with Ritchey SPD pedals from them.

MichaelM said:
Shimano M 520's are well thought of. £17.50 from Merlin Cycles.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=720&categoryId=81

Thanks for the links chaps. I've now seen that I can get that pedal for less than £40 and the XTR model for £55! Nuvver decision to be made. I don't really want the cheapy ones, I just wanted to know if Wiggle's price could be bettered, which it can.

Are these 2 places good for delivery?

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
XTR ones now ordered at £55 (£80 rrp) from Merlin. CRC declined to price match (so far anyhow) so they didn't get the business!

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
Pedals arrived this morning, so very impressed with Merlin. Email with price match approval also arrived this morning from CRC. You weren't quick enough!

U

User482

simonali said:
XTR ones now ordered at £55 (£80 rrp) from Merlin. CRC declined to price match (so far anyhow) so they didn't get the business!

I've got XTR SPDs on my bike, and they are superb. Much better at clearing mud than the older shimano designs too. £55 is a very good price.

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
I have some of the originale ones on my old bike and I think they cost around £70 about 14 years ago, so I'm very happy with the price.

Top Bottom