SQ Lab ergonomic grips. How are they?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CEBEP

I wander if anyone have experience with SQ Lab ergonomic grips, say Grip 710 model or some other in comparison with Brooks ergonomic grips which as far as I know are made by ergon. SQ Lab 710 M/L has interesting geometry and I’m wandering if it indeed makes big difference in terms of increasing comfort.

EAEAF6B8-B887-4B4C-8699-C31B3F57C7EA.jpeg

31F399BA-AB56-4CF1-BA0F-3814F2DB3BAC.jpeg

berlinonaut

Veteran
For my taste the Ergon cork grips are the standard that is hard to beat (and possibly still unbeaten). Over the years I've tried a lot of different ergonomic grips and none came even close. I do however have no experience with SQ-lab grips.

u_i

Über Member
No other brand of ergonomic grips is as widely marketed as Ergon, so it can be harder to gather opinions on them in comparison. I have been using ergonomic grips on practically all bikes, for a long time, went through many of them and learned to avoid Ergon. It might be helpful to explain why.

Metal is harsh to grab for a hand. Aside from hardness, in colder weather metal drains heat from bare hand. Yet Ergon persist with a wide metal band on the side of the grips, presumably because it gives them a characteristic look good for marketing, consuming valuable handlebar space. Brompton M-bars have particularly limited straight bar space for use. In the grips. the top that gets press wears faster than the bottom. When the grips are top-bottom symmetric, you can swap the right with left and double the life of the grips. Yet Ergons are top-bottom asymmetric that brings in little in comfort but makes consumer go through the grips twice as fast. When you fold Brompton, the ergonomic grips can add ~1cm in transverse size that can make the bike harder to squeeze into a rigid case such as B&W. The ergonomic shape can be built up out of rubber and then you just squeeze the shape and fit the case. However Ergon build their shape on a rigid substrate that cannot be squeezed.

My favorite grips are the inexpensive Sunlite Ergo, that have all the features I want and are easily available in US. However, in Europe they may be marketed under another name. Of course there are other features of the grips that are important and the grips can be generally difficult to assess without grabbing them and even putting on, such as whether they are not too hard or too slippery.

berlinonaut

Veteran
learned to avoid Ergon. It might be helpful to explain why.
While I see your points I do not buy all of them and come to a different conclusion. Possibly because of different needs. I've never felt the metal band to be an issue - when it's cold I don't ride with bare hands anyway and most of the Ergon grips with bar ends do not have the metal band at all. I don't have the boxing issue, probably because I barely ever need to use a hard case. I don't have the issue with the Brompton bars being too small: With the newer M/H bars from 2017 on you don't have the problem any more and with bars different from M/H-standard you don't have it as well obviously. I did not even have in on the original, older M bars (though others had to cut their ergons down).

I do see the issue with Ergons suffering from wear. Older versions of the rubber ergons tended to disintegrate and getting sticky like chewing gum after a few years. This has been solved since a couple of years. Personally, I do prefer the cork version anyway. With this, the rubber part wears, but not too badly, so no real need to exchange the grips until now (12+ years for the oldest set). They do however look a bit filthy/dirty over time, especially on a Brompton. Being a pragmatist I live with these issues. Others, like the lightweight line of grips (GS-line), do possibly have none of those at all. https://www.ergonbike.com/de/product.html?a=griffe

In the end it is a question of taste, needs and personal shape of the hands.

As with many permium producs there are a lot of clones and cheaper alternatives out there. While some may be fit for purpose (or even better in terms of price AND featureset) a lot simply look ergonomic but are not at all. Or there are people out there with very strangely shaped hands. ^_^ So I got tired of experimenting but still buy cheaper grips from time to time due to suffering from n+1 and not wanting to spend a fortune on premium grips for every single bike. My main bikes however are equipped with ergons.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I had a pair of GP1 Biokork on my pre 2017 M6L and found them supremely comfortable and quite stylish. I had to cut them down to fit the narrower bars. I purchased a pair of Biokork GP5 during lockdown in a vain attempt to make my wife's bike which, was on the turbo, a better fit for me. I thought that I could swap the end clamps of the original Biokork grips to the body of the GP5's and fit them to my other, post 2017 Brommie, but unfortunately they're not interchangeable.

Top Bottom