Squats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

Best not then..

ayceejay

Guru
No, of course it wasn't a serious question. Just to be clear though, I thought this was a thread where discussions were based on actual evidence, not on "well, it works for me" faith-based arguments. I'm sure there are people who think that praying twice a day gets them up hills faster - but the actual evidence for that is going to be scarce...

Then there is a clear line between what one can do and what one can train ones self or believe oneself is capable of and this is where we part ways because these are the qualities that seem to transcend the science those, you know, faith based arguments.

Citius

Then there is a clear line between what one can do and what one can train ones self or believe oneself is capable of and this is where we part ways because these are the qualities that seem to transcend the science those, you know, faith based arguments.

Like I said earlier - anecdote trumps fact on these forums every time. So you'll be in good company...

ayceejay

Guru
You can't do that Citius because that anecdote defeats your own argument. There is no way you can disprove that the determination of Jowwy (a mental quality) or the reason a less powerful person than you can climb faster transcends the science. A one legged man running across a continent and so on and where does this justify squats?

vickster

Legendary Member
I can't do a squat at all with or without weights due to my ridiculously short tight calves :sad: but I can ride a bike :smile: which I'd much rather be doing instead of trying to do squats :whistle:

Citius

You can't do that Citius because that anecdote defeats your own argument. There is no way you can disprove that the determination of Jowwy (a mental quality) or the reason a less powerful person than you can climb faster transcends the science. A one legged man running across a continent and so on and where does this justify squats?

Let's not discuss Jowwy - but you have misunderstood the other part of what I said.

I didn't say I had more power that Bardet. I said I probably had more 'strength'. It's quite possible that you do, too The reason for this ought to be clear. He undoubtedly has more power though - which was my point. That's not a belief - it's a fact. Just in case there is any confusion here - I am arguing against squats.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You say you understand the difference between strength and power - but you have just demonstrated that you do not, sorry.

Maybe you can explain how it is physically possible to turn that huge gear up the very steep hill then. I don't think even the pure weight of the cyclist all on one pedal would be enough to turn the crank. Obviously everything I am talking about is theoretical, as the cyclist will just pick an easier gear, but it seems completely reasonable to me that the theoretical cyclist that can physically turn a higher gear at the same cadence as another cyclist will move the bike further with each turn and will therefore in the same number of turns of the cranks get there faster.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
My brain hurts .

Best improvement I had was using a cross trainer. I've only done squats as part of physio to help correct kneecap tracking and build strength.
If I was training up now I'd choose the cross trainer.
In the end I just ride the bike.

No science. Just an opinion :smile:

A quote from Chris Froone;

I train on the bike and I get into the gym five times a week, mainly to work on my core stability, leg strength, and some back work. A lot of squats and lunges, no heavy weights – more about building strength than muscle. We also weave some yoga postures into our stretching.

Citius

Maybe you can explain how it is physically possible to turn that huge gear up the very steep hill then. I don't think even the pure weight of the cyclist all on one pedal would be enough to turn the crank.

Your physics needs some revision. It is not physically possible to apply a force higher than your own bodyweight, unsupported, against a moving object (ie a pedal). This is why a leg press machine looks the way it does. If it didn't have a back rest, the person trying to push the weight would just propel themselves in the opposite direction instead. So the notion of having greater leg stength in order to do this is totally irrelevant. Newton pretty much nailed this point with his Third Law of Motion.

Obviously everything I am talking about is theoretical, as the cyclist will just pick an easier gear, but it seems completely reasonable to me that the theoretical cyclist that can physically turn a higher gear at the same cadence as another cyclist will move the bike further with each turn and will therefore in the same number of turns of the cranks get there faster.

Repeated application of the same force (whatever force) is not reliant on the application of strength - it is reliant on the production of power. Unless of course the theoretical rider only plans on turning the pedals for one revolution. If he wants to do it more than once, it becomes a power equation, not a strength equation. If only you would go and learn the difference, we wouldn't need to have this absurd discussion.

Last edited:

Citius

A quote from Chris Froone;

I train on the bike and I get into the gym five times a week, mainly to work on my core stability, leg strength, and some back work. A lot of squats and lunges, no heavy weights – more about building strength than muscle. We also weave some yoga postures into our stretching.

Lots of pros spend time in the gym, for all kinds of reasons. Without knowing the purpose of this training, or the weights he is pushing, we don't even know if that qualifies as 'strength' work. My guess it probably doesn't. Do Froome's legs look 'strong' to you?

Lots of pros spend time in the gym, for all kinds of reasons. Without knowing the purpose of this training, or the weights he is pushing, we don't even know if that qualifies as 'strength' work. My guess it probably doesn't. Do Froome's legs look 'strong' to you?

My point is that Froome isn't squatting huge weights, he appears to do squats as part of his core conditioning. He then gets on his bike and rides lots and lots.

Citius

My point is that Froome isn't squatting huge weights, he appears to do squats as part of his core conditioning. He then gets on his bike and rides lots and lots.

So that's not strength work then. You can find quotes on the internet for almost anything.

A quote from Mark Cavendish:
I don’t do gym work. Not at all. I do bit of strength work with core stability, but not weights, otherwise I’d bulk up.

Top Bottom