Squeaking Headset.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I suppose I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance here. On Sunday I went out for a longish ride on my bent (Street Machine) and at the start I noticed that the headset was squeaking a bit every time I made steering adjustments. I've not had this in four years of riding the bike. It stopped after a while. I was going to book the bike in at the LBS for a servicing anyway.

Is this a normal thing to happen and does it just mean that a drop of oil is required i.e. will it be a routine servicing item or is it likely to turn into a major repair?

Monkey Boy

Servicing the headset is pretty easy Andy. It's more or less...remove front brake, slacken off the two 'useless' bolts behind the handlebar, remove screwed pin at the top end holding it all together. Then it's a case of stripping out all the gubbins, cleaning, re-greasing, put it back together in the same order as the bits came out. Make sure you lay out all the bits in order though (v. important)....and try not to lose any ball bearings!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hmm if it's squeeking then it may need new bearings / headset as the races or bearings may be pitted (depends upon what type of bearings are fitted).

02GF74

Über Member
Monkey Boy said:
Servicing the headset is pretty easy Andy. It's more or less...remove front brake, slacken off the two 'useless' bolts behind the handlebar, remove screwed pin at the top end holding it all together.

not quite correct.

those 'useless' bolts are the ones that hold it together and stop the stem from rotating. the top bolt is done up lightly just enough to take up the slack in order to adjust the bearing correctly.

Top Bottom