Squeaky Fulcrum Hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aerobrain

Über Member
Hi

I've got a 150 mile ride this weekend and my front hub chose today to develop a squeak. Definitely not brakes as I moved them completely away from the rims and it still made the noise. Not a constant squeak but squeak-squeak if that makes sense.

Hubs is one thing I'm yet to learn what to do with and to be honest, so close to the big ride I'm reluctant to do anything drastic, especially without knowing exactly what I'm doing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

They're Fulcrum Racing Quattro wheels and the hubs have the tiny allen bolt on one side if that info helps?!

Many thanks

Lee

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Worn out or rusty bearings? They use cartridge bearings which are usually reliable, but if they've been wet or jet washed the grease will have been compromised and they will corrode.

Thankfully the bearings aren't too expensive and can be replaced.

OP
OP
aerobrain

aerobrain

Über Member
They're relatively new, few months old. But I did was the bike at the weekend. Can they be regressed or do you just have to replace the bearings as they're cartridge? Sorry if its a stupid question :-/

As a bit of spray and hope I did just give them a squirt of GT85. If I can get them through C2C then properly sort after I'll be happy!!

Cheers for the reply!

the_mikey

Legendary Member
deep-groove-ball-bearing-6001-2rs-6001-zz.jpg

Those are the kind of bearings in your hub. You can grease or spray them, they'll work for your ride but if they've corroded they'll eventually seize.

OP
OP
aerobrain

aerobrain

Über Member
Right, worst has been confirmed, seized wheel bearing :-( Anyone know if they are a pretty standard size or do I need to pin my hopes on a LBS having a Fulcrum specific one?!

Top Bottom