Squeaky Hydraulic Disc Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juanito

Just joined, looking for info about helping me stop my front Magura hydraulic from squawking. I'm very pleased to read the many different possible remedies. As you might be able to see in my pix, my machine is a Doublevision, purchased 17 years ago from Tandems Limited, BirminghamAL-USA. I've gone back to them (via email/internet/USPS/FedEx/UPS/phone/etc.) for additional cycle material. This is the longest any bicycle has lasted between my legs, although my prototype Stumpjumper survived 12 years. Anyway, the info about brakes has been extremely helpful in figuring out how to cure the noise. Thanks, all!

Juanito

I've had Magura hydraulics, front & rear, on my fine Doublevision since acquiring it new from Tandems, Ltd, (BirminghamAL-USA) 17 years ago, with the intent that I'd captain, my daughter would stoke and my son could pilot his own upright on an excellent Summer biketour from VictoriaBC-Canada to TijuanaBC-Mexico. However, that was not to be; so I had this most expensive, fine pedaling machine and have used it continuously since whilst home in El PasoTX-USA, with a 7-month interruption (resulting from being rear-ended 29MAR2009; I wasn't hurt, but the Doublevision needed significant repair....!
Anyway, it came equipped with HS11 hydraulics, which I had Crazy Cat-Airport upgrade to HS33 a few years later. I have only been impressed with them, very effective stopping power, no noise, simply superb. However, I did change out the OEM brake pads with Kool-Stops a month or so ago, and they (front) recently started squaking horrendously whilst on an overnight biketour to Sunland ParkNM-USA & Cd. JuarezCHIH-EUM. Sure, I could return to Crazy Cat, but then I'd miss out on the joy of being able to fix it myself. I've narrowed the cause down to the fact that the pads are still relatively new (<200 miles/320kms) and will employ some of the remedies suggested. Thank you!

Juanito

I'll keep you informed as to what happens whilst I make the fixes: so far, I've reversed one of the pads, no change; tighttened the lever, little change. Next I'll clean/rough-up the rim; & clean/rough-up the pad surface.

Top Bottom