Squeaky Hydraulic Disc Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Could be a number of things!
Have you cleaned the discs recently?
It could also be that you need new pads. If you've recently put new pads on, it could be that they are bedding in or, as I found recently, they are just noisier than my last set (due to being semi-metallic and sintered). But they stop great so I'll live with the noise!

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
I haven't changed the pads recently. Is there a simple maintenance thing I can try?

I haven't used this bike for a couple of years.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Clean the discs...if you haven't got a specific disc cleaner then something like Muc Off and rinse well and dry them.
Don't touch the discs with your hands.
The bike may need a general clean and service if it's been sitting for a while, so you may not be able to rectify the noise immediately.

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
if you have vodka in your fridge you can use it to clean the discs with it, put some on a piece of rag and wipe your discs with it :P

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you are getting a nasty juddering squawk as the bike rolls to a stop, the pads and discs are contaminated with oil or brake fluid. Put the pads in the dishwasher and clean the discs with IPA or glass cleaner.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
I took a look at the pads on the front and they were butchered do I changed them and cleaned the discs. I'm going to do the same to the rear ones.
BTW, the new pads are rubbing slightly on the disc despite me pushing in the pads all the way back on the calliper. Will this just resolve itself as the brakes are used?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Brake pads, especially sintered ones, can look quite ropey as the softer material wears leaving the harder bits. That's no reason to change them. If the new pads are rubbing check that the centre seam of the caliper is lined up with the disc, you can correct this by adding or removing shims between the caliper and the tabs on the frame. If that still doesn't fix the rub, just ride.

On a hydraulic brake the pads will be pulled away from the disc by the flexibility of the rubber piston seals, in which they are an extremely tight fit. They don't slide through the seals when you brake, the seals deform and then spring back to pull the pads back. As the pads wear the pistons do creep slowly through with each successive application.

Top Bottom