Squeaky pedal/cleat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjgraham86

Über Member
The right hand pedal or cleat on my right shoe - I'm not sure which it is - makes a squeaking noise on each revolution. The noise will disappear if I turn my foot slightly inwards, which feels a bit unnatural and not something you could put up with over any distance.

Should I apply some bike grease (or something else?) to try to solve this ? The cleats are all nice and tight.

Thanks

P

Fiona N

Veteran
When I used Look pedals and cleats, they used to go through periods, usually after they'd got wet, of squeaking. I found that it was due to the movement between cleat (especially the little rubber pad) and pedal. A bit of WD40 would fix the problem but made the cleats even more tricky to walk on :blush:

The right hand pedal or cleat on my right shoe - I'm not sure which it is - makes a squeaking noise on each revolution. The noise will disappear if I turn my foot slightly inwards, which feels a bit unnatural and not something you could put up with over any distance.

I was about to post something similar - my SPD's creak like the blazes - using Specialized BG MTB Sports shoes (and Defrosters) with new Shimano M540's and older but lightly used Shimano A530's and A520's the problem is the same. Shifting my foot out slightly will stop it for a minute but that’s an unnatural angle to ride at. Both feet but the left is worse. I've dropped some lube on the springs which seems to help for a few miles. I thought it may be the shoes but I can't see anything obvious.

jimbut

When the LOOK cleats are needing replaced they tend to start giving off a bit of a squeak. I have always used LOOK pedal / cleat systems and that is the only time noises start to become an issue. If the cleats are a couple of years old ( obv. depends on your mileage ) replace em. To find out before hand if it def is the cleat(s), put a dab of grease on the contact points on the actual pedal ( where the cleat hooks in to ).

Rezillo

TwoSheds

Should I apply some bike grease (or something else?) to try to solve this ? The cleats are all nice and tight.

Thanks

P

I had exactly the same problem with some Specialized BG MTB Sport shoes. A kind of creaky squeak.

It drove me nuts for weeks - I changed the cleats, oiled and greased them and the pedals (A520s) but with no success - it only stopped if I turned my foot inwards.

I eventually found it was caused by the shoe straps. There are buckles on mine where the straps loop through that are attached to a short flap of leather on the shoe. When the strap is closed and tight, there are two leather faces (the inside of the flap and the surface of the shoe) that rub on each other. A clean and a bit of leather cream inside this bit of leather and the creak stopped.

John

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
SPD's generally need to be clean and a bit of lube applied.

If Look or SPD SL (road) then make sure you give the cleats a light 'sanding' to take off the black alloy deposits you can get on the front lip and bottom of the cleats. Also polishing the cleat and pedal with Mr Sheen works brilliantly.

yello

I use Look Delta cleats and pedals. Coincidently, my left cleat has started creaking. Only on my fixed, and only when I'm putting pressure on the pedal. Likewise, I can stop it by twisting my foot slightly out and back. I assumed it was the pedal (since it's only on the 1 bike) so took it off and re-greased it. No joy. Having read this thread, I'll now check the wear levels on my cleats, remove and clean (or replace) them. I'll let you know.

OP
OP
P

pjgraham86

Über Member
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try all of these ! If no joy, I'll replace the cleats. They've had a pretty good innings it has to be said.....

Cheers

p

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am regularly irritated my squeaking SPDs. So much so, I replaced the double sided pedals I had on my MTB with road pedals, which I've found tend to squeak much less. Previously, I've replaced my SPDs several times. They'd be alright to start with, but then the squeaks would start. Usually they're ok for a few miles and then it starts, making me wonder if it's caused by them getting warm. Like other posters, I noticed the creaking is more pronounced on one pedal (the left) and that I can stop it by adjusting my foot a bit. This makes me wonder if the problem is caused by some biomechanical problem in my left leg. My right leg goes up and down like a piston, but I suspect my left leg goes out to the side a bit. I tend to get more overuse injuries with my left leg with my running due to overpronation. I've also wondered whether my SPDs are too cheap, but I'm not prepared to pay more without knowing for sure they won't squeak.

Top Bottom