Squeaky rear brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil6674

Hi all,

The rear brake on my Boardman Team Hybrid squeaks and doesn’t seem to stop me good enough when braking hard, I’ve changed pads, cleaned rotors etc but still does it, any suggestions

Cheers

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi all,

The rear brake on my Boardman Team Hybrid squeaks and doesn’t seem to stop me good enough when braking hard, I’ve changed pads, cleaned rotors etc but still does it, any suggestions

Cheers

The back brake is not really for braking hard. Front brake only does the job better. I only use the back brake if I'm in a situation where using the front is likely to cause the front wheel to slide out on eg streaming wet and/or gravelly roads. The back brake is also a useful emergency option if ever the front brake fails.

Discs on the back are usually very easy to lock up when they are working properly and take a bit of getting used to in order to avoid this happening by the use of a light touch. Have you bled them?

Squealing - did you bed the pads in properly ie ride up to 10-15 mph and then brake hard but release before the bike comes to a halt (& repeat around 20 times)? Are they properly aligned etc?

OP
OP
phil6674

phil6674

The back brake is not really for braking hard. Front brake only does the job better. I only use the back brake if I'm in a situation where using the front is likely to cause the front wheel to slide out on eg streaming wet and/or gravelly roads. The back brake is also a useful emergency option if ever the front brake fails.

Discs on the back are usually very easy to lock up when they are working properly and take a bit of getting used to in order to avoid this happening by the use of a light touch. Have you bled them?

Squealing - did you bed the pads in properly ie ride up to 10-15 mph and then brake hard but release before the bike comes to a halt (& repeat around 20 times)? Are they properly aligned etc?

Thanks for that...haven’t bled them, tbh I don’t think I’d trust myself to try it, as for bedding pads in haven’t tried what you suggested, will do on my commute tomorrow...
Thanks again for suggestions..

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Just over 12 months I think

Sounds like you have contaminated them maybe with some spray lube, even the natural oil from your hands.
I've used isopropyl alcohol or a specific bike disc brake cleaner (muc off) to clean up the rotors and pads. After doing this they will still be noisy and weak and need bedding in again. As SpokeyDokey says run it up and down to a reasonable speed and apply the brake but don't let the wheel lock up. Keep doing this about 20 times braking a little harder each time but not locking up. The noise should go and the braking get sharper.

I take it it only squeaks when you apply the brake.

Last edited:
OP
OP
phil6674

phil6674

Sounds like you have contaminated them maybe with some spray lube, even the natural oil from your hands.
I've used isopropyl alcohol or a specific bike disc brake cleaner (muc off) to clean up the rotors and pads. After doing this they will still be noisy and weak and need bedding in again. As SpokeyDokey says run it up and down to a reasonable speed and apply the brake but don't let the wheel lock up. Keep doing this about 20 times braking a little harder each time but not locking up. The noise should go and the braking get sharper.

I take it it only squeaks when you apply the brake.
Yep only squeaks when I put pressure on brake, when I ease brake lever no squeak until wheel locks.
I’ll try what both have suggested with braking.
Thanks for advice..

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Check how much lining you have on the pads BEFORE trying to bed them in.
They might be worn out! especially after 12+ months use.

Top Bottom