Squeaky sound. Help me identify the problem!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reakz93

Regular
Hi everyone, this is my first post.

Bike is Cannondale Prophet 2009.
This sound started few months ago. We changed chain, rear and front sprocket (all 3 on front). And we still cannot identify where does this sound come from.

It goes away when I wash it with high pressure mini-wash but starts coming back gradually after 10-20min of riding, and starts to get really loud after an hour.

Video link

Thank You

iluvmybike

Über Member
Could be all sorts - sometimes the little rubber covers on hubs get dry and squeak, could be hub bearings, chain, pedal bearings, shoe cleats, shoe brushing against crank or bottom bracket, seatpost creaking etc . But from video I'd guess at bottom bracket if anything
Best to step away from the high pressure wsher - prob blasting all good grease out of everything!

Big John

Guru
Sounds like a bottom bracket issue. Is there any play in the crank arms? Try taking the chain off and spinning the cranks to see if it all runs freely. I've tried to find the specs for a Cannondale Prophet but failed miserably. Noises can sometimes be a nightmare to pinpoint but if I were a betting man, which thankfully I'm not, I'd go for the BB.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Before getting into the oily/greasey bits, try the seat post. Both where it joins the frame but also the seat. My Cannondale Synapse has had a couple of episodes of creaking, which I thought was the bottom bracket. Finally traced to the seat post where it meets the frame. It needed a smear of grease.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Seatpost or saddle cos you were not pedalling. Squirt some oil into where the saddle rails get into the plastic saddle base. You also need to remove the post and also take saddle off the post and grease it after you've cleaned it up.

OP
OP
reakz93

reakz93

Regular
Bottom bracket had that clicking sound last year, I replaced it already.

Unfortunately it's the frame. We disassembled everything, put nothing but the frame on the ground, and started twisting it.
It's making the exact sounds somewhere around middle-bottom, right above the BB slot but we cannot identify where exactly and why. Sometimes I feel that it even starts from the rear.
Whatever it is, frame is done I guess.

Of course it had to be the worst...what a sad day, and life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom