Squeaky wheel after 15-20 miles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I am getting a squeak that sounds like it's from the front wheel. It has happened on the last three rides but only after about 15-20 miles and then it comes and goes. It can be produced on request (once it's started) by putting weight down through the bars.

Any ideas?

I was thinking about a squirt of wd40 or a bit of lube round the bearing/hub seals. If this seems a good idea where in the pics below would I apply said lube?

Cheers.

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
It could be the rubber seals around the bearings. When they're spotless and bone dry they can squeak a bit. It drove me nuts till I discovered why on mine. A squirt of gt85 over the entire seal will work itself around the edges and so on.
I wouldn't use wd40 as it can knacker up the bearing grease if it gets in there.

Last edited:
That's a cartridge-bearing wheel and I'll suspect one of the bearings themselves. Make a stethoscope with a suitable short stick - ideally a 300mm 10mm dowell, but look around you for something suitable. Then rest the stick on the hub flange and hold your ear on it. Now twiddle the axle and listen for dry sounds.

I thank @Vantage made the same mistake I almost made and suggested the rubber seals. But those aren't rubber seals, they're the jamb nuts themselves. They're dual-purpose devices those, jamb nuts and labyrinth seals simultaneously. That means they have to maintain a non-contact gap around the hub. Look for grit in the gap. But, I doubt that's it. Your description sounds like the dying groans of a bearing.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
That's a cartridge-bearing wheel and I'll suspect one of the bearings themselves. Make a stethoscope with a suitable short stick - ideally a 300mm 10mm dowell, but look around you for something suitable. Then rest the stick on the hub flange and hold your ear on it. Now twiddle the axle and listen for dry sounds.

I thank @Vantage made the same mistake I almost made and suggested the rubber seals. But those aren't rubber seals, they're the jamb nuts themselves. They're dual-purpose devices those, jamb nuts and labyrinth seals simultaneously. That means they have to maintain a non-contact gap around the hub. Look for grit in the gap. But, I doubt that's it. Your description sounds like the dying groans of a bearing.

Cheers YS, So a probable new cartridge bearing needed. I take it they are replaceable in this wheel.

Top Bottom