Squealing v brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deanE

“squealing versus brakes? I would go for the brakes. Squealing might make sure that everyone gets out of your way but brakes are to be recommended.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
With cantis toeing in the shoe slightly is the approach that works for me.

I find that toeing in the front edge of my canti brake pads greatly reduces the squeal.

I achieve it by slacking the pad bolt putting a cable tie between the pad and wheel rim then squeezing the brake on hard then nip the bolt with the brake still squeezed. (easier to get someone to hold the brake lever on while you nip up the bolt.)

Nothing gets rid of it completely but the squeal will be reduced to a more acceptable level.

buggi

Bird Saviour
they need toeing. that means pointing in at the front, so the front of the brake pad hits first. (If that doesn't work get some dirt on your rims).

o yea, also, once toed they will be more effective also. so don't put yourself over the handlebars :biggrin:

jim55

Guru
i fitted new "v" blocks last week(clarkes aqua -red and black )absolutely brilliant ,,very,very good and what a diff ,really does feel as if i can stop in a hurry if needed ,so much btr than standard ,could lock both wheels no bother

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
An old solution is to cut a couple of shallow slots across each pad.

Top Bottom