Squee...we have a tour booked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Wow! Very envious and hope you have a great time.

I did a short tour with my two boys a few years ago. We camped overnight.

www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/page-858#post-4760979
www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/page-862#post-4765980

We felt like intrepid explorers with our rucksacks and tents. Would love to do it again.

Have been trying to do the Coast & Castles route with them since but exams, school summer trips, illness and Covid have got in the way so far. If we do C&C it will be the pub/B&B option.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Fantastic, sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

I've gone and bought a Towwhee for when I'm touring with my kids. It's essentially a big bit of bungee but works really well, attaches to the bikes in seconds and provides a moral boost when they are flagging. Also packs small and is really light, so easy to carry on tour.

Best of luck though and I really hope that it goes ahead.
note to self.... Must make sure the other half never ever sees that product.

@Cathryn I'm curious...... Is the young fella involved in the planning at all?

I'd second @IaninSheffield 's suggestion - a write up in the Travelogues could be inspirational for others. In a post-Covid world I can see a huge jump in bike touring, especially for families. I know you write on CGOAB, but here is more "approachable", I think

@chriswoody That's a very interesting looking contraption! I might consider one if I could find someone to tow me!^_^ I bet you'll have great fun with yours!

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I like the way you've balanced the days. Everyone is keen on day 1 but the danger of serious fatigue setting in on day 2/3 (and or saddle sores etc) can ruin the rest of the tour. Far better for it to be very manageable and then plan more tours, rather than putting children off. You will finish on a high ( I used to live between Stroud and Cirencester) For 2 week tours we have day 3 as the easiest of the tour if possible, then we are "in gear" so to speak, stamina and fitness builds.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I like the way you've balanced the days. Everyone is keen on day 1 but the danger of serious fatigue setting in on day 2/3 (and or saddle sores etc) can ruin the rest of the tour. Far better for it to be very manageable and then plan more tours, rather than putting children off. You will finish on a high ( I used to live between Stroud and Cirencester) For 2 week tours we have day 3 as the easiest of the tour if possible, then we are "in gear" so to speak, stamina and fitness builds.

Thanks. It wasn't the plan but I was pleased when I saw how it worked out. Day 2 can be 10 miles if we need to take a shorter route.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
@Cathryn I'm curious...... Is the young fella involved in the planning at all?

I'd second @IaninSheffield 's suggestion - a write up in the Travelogues could be inspirational for others. In a post-Covid world I can see a huge jump in bike touring, especially for families. I know you write on CGOAB, but here is more "approachable", I think

@chriswoody That's a very interesting looking contraption! I might consider one if I could find someone to tow me!^_^ I bet you'll have great fun with yours!

Thank you. I will def do a write-up - it feels a little 'small' for CGOAB but I enjoy the writing element of touring as well.

The idea was actually my son's. He saw a signpost on the railway-line trail saying Cirenctester 30 miles on Saturday and asked if we could cycle there, stay overnight and come back. We saw an Escape to the Country last week set in Cirencester so I think it sparked interest. The Stroud addition was my husband's idea. We're all really excited.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Wow! Very envious and hope you have a great time.

I did a short tour with my two boys a few years ago. We camped overnight.

www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/page-858#post-4760979
www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/page-862#post-4765980

We felt like intrepid explorers with our rucksacks and tents. Would love to do it again.

Have been trying to do the Coast & Castles route with them since but exams, school summer trips, illness and Covid have got in the way so far. If we do C&C it will be the pub/B&B option.

I shall have a read of these this evening. Thank you for sharing.

chriswoody

Legendary Member

It's a great bit of kit to have when your cycling bigger distances with younger kids, it's basically a big bit of elastic in a cloth cover. It feels really nice and easy when towing, you've just got to remember to warn the person behind before you slam the anchors on! :whistle:

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Sigh...we had to cancel. Premier Inn contacted us to say that hotels aren't open for leisure travellers until mid May so we can't do the weekend planned. Gutted.

Sigh...we had to cancel. Premier Inn contacted us to say that hotels aren't open for leisure travellers until mid May so we can't do the weekend planned. Gutted.
That's a real pity.

Not encouraging you to break laws but is AirBnB the same?

From my own selfish perspective I was looking forward to reading about it😊

How is the young lad taking it? Is he still keen to do it another time?

Not sure what the restrictions are, but any chance of a slight change in concept? Cycle to a friend/cousin/family? Or an overnight camping trip?
I've mentioned it on here before that a friendly farmer can be a great option. The friendlier the better so that in inclement weather there's a bailout option^_^
It may not be the "tour" you all wanted, but it may be a fun, family experience?

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
That's a real pity.

Not encouraging you to break laws but is AirBnB the same?

From my own selfish perspective I was looking forward to reading about it😊

How is the young lad taking it? Is he still keen to do it another time?

Not sure what the restrictions are, but any chance of a slight change in concept? Cycle to a friend/cousin/family? Or an overnight camping trip?
I've mentioned it on here before that a friendly farmer can be a great option. The friendlier the better so that in inclement weather there's a bailout option^_^
It may not be the "tour" you all wanted, but it may be a fun, family experience?

AirBnb is fine...but because it's a BH, they're £200/night. We're not allowed to stay with friends either. I reckon we'll move it to another weekend, we're still v keen to do it.

Top Bottom