squek from my back wheel every revolution?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

photography27

hi all, i wonder if anybody can help, i have a squeak coming from my back wheel, it squeaks every time it goes round, i think it is from the hub on the back wheel, its not the brakes, but not being techie minded i dont want to start taking things off?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
It could be any number of things P27 - no grease in the hub,worn bearings, worn freehub allowing the sprockets to move under load etc.

If you don't want to have a fettle I'd run it into the LBS as soon as poss.

potsy

Rambler
mickle said:
It is the LH bearing seal. Drop a drop of lube betwixt seal lip and hub shell to shut the fecker up.
That's what I did on my hybrid the other week,but I used WD:blush:
Shut it up anyway,and as it's a cheap wheel on a bike I don't use much it was worth the risk.
If it's on your Secteur might want to sort it properly though.

potsy

Rambler
mickle said:
Dropping a drop of lube between seal lip and hub shell is sorting it properly.
Yes,but I was thinking that might be a temporary measure until it can be serviced/greased that's all,if it works then all's well.
Had a weird clicking noise on mine last week on the front wheel,was thinking loose spokes,something in tyre etc,kept checking what I could while stopped at lights but to no avail,turned out the reflective strip on the tyre had started to peel off and was catching the mudguard on each revolution,cut the offending bit off and is now fine again:becool:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Mickle speaketh the sense here. Hub seals are a bit noisy, and a drop of oil gets to where it needs to be, and doesn't migrate off and wash the grease out of your bearings.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
OK, tell me what oil is if it isn't a lubricating agent;)
For the record, I'm talking petrochemical based lubricant here, not sesame / sunflower / extra-virgin olive (although I'm sure my hub would smell delicious after that!!!)

OP
OP
photography27

photography27

mickle said:
It is the LH bearing seal. Drop a drop of lube betwixt seal lip and hub shell to shut the fecker up.

thank you, it was exactley that, put some oil in the seal this morning, and not 1 squeak to work and back, awesome. Thank you very much
mik

Top Bottom