squek from my back wheel every revolution?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by photography27, 13 Apr 2010.

1. photography27

photography27 Active Member

hi all, i wonder if anybody can help, i have a squeak coming from my back wheel, it squeaks every time it goes round, i think it is from the hub on the back wheel, its not the brakes, but not being techie minded i dont want to start taking things off?

2. accountantpete

accountantpete Legendary Member

It could be any number of things P27 - no grease in the hub,worn bearings, worn freehub allowing the sprockets to move under load etc.

If you don't want to have a fettle I'd run it into the LBS as soon as poss.

3. OP
    OP
    photography27

the bike is about 6 month old, so nothng should wear out that fast should it?

4. It is the LH bearing seal. Drop a drop of lube betwixt seal lip and hub shell to shut the fecker up.

5. That's what I did on my hybrid the other week,but I used WD:blush:
    Shut it up anyway,and as it's a cheap wheel on a bike I don't use much it was worth the risk.
    If it's on your Secteur might want to sort it properly though.

6. Dropping a drop of lube between seal lip and hub shell is sorting it properly.

7. Putting WD40 in the same dimension as anything you value isn't.

8. Yes,but I was thinking that might be a temporary measure until it can be serviced/greased that's all,if it works then all's well.
    Had a weird clicking noise on mine last week on the front wheel,was thinking loose spokes,something in tyre etc,kept checking what I could while stopped at lights but to no avail,turned out the reflective strip on the tyre had started to peel off and was catching the mudguard on each revolution,cut the offending bit off and is now fine again:becool:

9. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Resistance is futile! Moderator

Mickle speaketh the sense here. Hub seals are a bit noisy, and a drop of oil gets to where it needs to be, and doesn't migrate off and wash the grease out of your bearings.

10. Lube not oil. Tsk. :smile:

11. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Resistance is futile! Moderator

OK, tell me what oil is if it isn't a lubricating agent;)
    For the record, I'm talking petrochemical based lubricant here, not sesame / sunflower / extra-virgin olive (although I'm sure my hub would smell delicious after that!!!)

12. OP
    OP
    photography27

thank you, it was exactley that, put some oil in the seal this morning, and not 1 squeak to work and back, awesome. Thank you very much
    mik

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice