SR Suntour XCT for adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Broadside

Guru
I’ve just bought a second hand mountain bike with a Suntour XCT fork.

The fork doesn’t compress at all, the top blue cap was loose, I’ve pushed it down but it makes no difference which way I turn it, the fork doesn’t seem to work.

I’ve taken the top cap off and can’t see what it engages with to make anything turn on the fork.

Is there a part missing? Does anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• 8225C687-87D2-40F0-9144-56428343EDB9.jpeg
    8225C687-87D2-40F0-9144-56428343EDB9.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 121
  • EA52B0BD-23DD-4909-A050-886E9D9009B6.jpeg
    EA52B0BD-23DD-4909-A050-886E9D9009B6.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 82409D4C-F26E-4588-ADDB-DF0254D5FC86.jpeg
    82409D4C-F26E-4588-ADDB-DF0254D5FC86.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 14A0746B-D937-4AF4-BE8C-AC8DC0521650.jpeg
    14A0746B-D937-4AF4-BE8C-AC8DC0521650.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 110

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You are missing a few bits, and they could well be knackered. My son has Suntour XCM and whilst basic, they work fine if looked after. Without knowing the history of them they could be knackered. I have Rock Shox on my bike though.

I'm not sure how serviceable they are, but you are missing part of the locking mechanism.

OP
OP
Broadside

Broadside

Guru
Thanks @fossyant

MTB are a bit of an unknown to me as I ride road bikes mostly. This is a bike for my kids to share so I will find out what part I am missing and see if I can get hold of it.

Thanks for the pointer. If anyone knows where spares are available that would be appreciated!

Drago

Legendary Member
Not nice forks, but they're simple to work on. The lockout assmbly can be removed with normal tools, and removing,. cleaning and refitting might restore focuntion so the forks compress. The side with the spring requires a Suntour tool, which doesnt cost much.

fossyant

Thanks @fossyant

MTB are a bit of an unknown to me as I ride road bikes mostly. This is a bike for my kids to share so I will find out what part I am missing and see if I can get hold of it.

Thanks for the pointer. If anyone knows where spares are available that would be appreciated!

I've moved from road bikes to a fully sprung MTB, with hydraulic dropper seat post and brakes - that's been a learning curve. TBH they aren't that frightening. I've bled my brakes, changed a lever piston, and striped the dropper post and rebuilt. My front and rear rockshox have been kept spankingly clean and silicone lubed once used and washed.

My son and daughter's Suntours don't get the abuse and muck, but they get a regular wipe down/clean lube. Certainly give it a go at a strip down. Just be wary of the spring loading.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MXGWktY5CY

OP
OP
Broadside

Broadside

Guru
Thanks for the video links, I’ve found that a 4mm Allen key unlocks the fork so it’s now moving.

The missing part is called a Suntour cog and Allen. The person I bought the bike from is ordering one for me.

Thanks for all the pointers on here, the Cyclechat community is amazing for getting quick answers to tricky little problems.

fossyant

Sorted... !!!

The Suntour forks are OK, they do what's needed - my Teen son gets on fine... I have no idea what all the settings do on my £500 plus RockShox do..... other than I know to keep them working perfectly, as there could be a bill bill coming.

Drago

Legendary Member
To be fair, of you're not too heavy they are stiff and they track well, it's just they have no damping. If you are heavy then you may as well replace the spring with a Victoria Sponge. They do accessory springs in different weights, but having tried them I reckon they're the same springs in different boxes. :laugh:

Top Bottom