SRAM 10 speed powerlocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gooch

Hi

Its been a while since I last posted.

I have a Specilaized Tarmac Expert 2009 of which I think a chain replacement is well over due as I'm starting to get gears jumping. It hasn't been changed since I bought it over 3 years so I'm looking at getting a 10 speed SRAM chain as a replacement. Reason being I used to use these all the time on my previous 9 speed Speciaized Allez pre 2009 and find them great for when you need to clean your bike and you just want to wip the chain off and clean it properly.

So as I said, on my previous 9 speed I used to take the SRAM chain off on a regular basis to clean it and then just link it back using the powerlinks. But now after reading around about current 10 speed SRAM chains it seems they use a "once use" only powerlock . http://www.sram.com/sram/road/technologies/powerlock rather than a powerlink.

So whats the difference? They both look exactly the same to me. As I said I used to link and de link my old 9 speed SRAM chains frequently with no problems. Does this mean I have to buy new 10 speed "powerlocks" everytime I want to de link my chain to clean it? Or is it a load of bo$$ocks and I can re use it again and again?

Sorry if I'm missing something here.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't answer your question but I would say that if your chain is 3 years old and now slipping then you probably need a new cassette and chainrings too! I left my last chain on for only one year and it wasn't slipping when I changed it but the new one did as soon as I put it on.

OP
OP
Gooch

Gooch

Thanks for your reply Colin.

Yes I was wondering whether the cassette might need changing also. I used to change my chain yearly on my old bike but have got a bit lazy!

This time I was going to change the chain first and see what happened. I was always told that you get can away with changing a chain but shouldn't need to change the cassette unless it is also worn. But if you change the cassette then you should also change the chain also. As for the chainrings I used them for 6 years on my old bike although they were pretty worn by the end. So I might try and avoid changing them if possible. More expense!!!

OP
OP
Gooch

Gooch

You can get reusable 10 speed Connex links from Wiggle for £6.99.

Mmmm...Maybe I should just get a Wipperman Connex chain instead of SRAM? I've never used them or heard of them before now but they seem to have quite good reviews.

Thanks! ^_^

Top Bottom