Sram and Shimano mix- road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Someone out there must be able to answer this...?

I currently run a 9 speed system, though with new 10spd derailleurs - one ultegra (r) the other 105 (f). Looking to up-spec to 10 spd but can I just get SRAM Rival shifters and a 10 spd cassette or do I need to replace the derailleurs to SRAM too? :evil: Seems logical to me - shifters just draw in and release cable...but is it that easy?

Cheers, Mike

GrahamG

Guru
Apparently, according to a recent article by Leanard Zinn, the SRAM levers pull virtually an identical amount of cable as Shimano 10 speed levers (we're talking a milimetre or so across the full range of the rear mech) so components are pretty much interchangeable.

For everything else there's shiftmate: http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

I'm using a campag/shimano 10 spd mix using a shiftmate and it's faultless.

OP
OP
M

Mike on a Planet X

Graham

Ta for that :sad:. I've been able to research this a bit more and there is doubt on mixing the two systems - you're the first to suggest the possibility of a mix - I'll see if I can source the article. Glad to hear the shiftmate works as an option - that's been referred to as well but no user comments.

Cheers.

GrahamG

Guru
I can't find anything either - I think it was on RoadBikeRider.com, in their email newsletter. The basic message was that on paper it's technically not compatible but the cable pull numbers are so close as to be no problem in the real world (beyond the accuracy of most mech trimming!).
You could always give it a go and if it's anything less than perfect then sort out a shiftmate.

Top Bottom