Sram Apex quality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sasquath

My Boss has a Cannondale with 11 speed sram Apex. It never shifted properly, always had tendency to miss a gear then jump 2 sprockets.
Recently it got unrideable.
After a lot of faffing about I measured single click cable pulls.
From 3.5 to 4.5 mm per click!!!
Derailleur has play in all pins, even with new shifter it would not shift properly.
All that wear after 3 years and under 2000miles, most of them on direct drive turbotrainer.

Swapped for deore xt m8000 shifter and derailleur, whole operation did cost less than sram force shifter(£140) and took 30 minutes, should be good for next 10000miles.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
@vickster loves SRAM and I have 2 with the old 10 speed which work perfectly

vickster

Legendary Member
I've never used 1x SRAM- only road bikes - I have Apex 2x10 on one bike, Rival 2x10 on one bike (most used, about 9000 miles, did need a new rear mech after the old one got ripped off by some wire rubbish in the road that got tangled up in the rear wheel) and Rival 2x11 on 2 bikes

No idea on modern MTB groupsets (although I think my not very much ridden second hand Boardman hybrid has X5, no issues)

D

Deleted member 1258

I had SRAM Rival on my Verenti, I liked it more than the Tiagra thats on my current bike.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'm running SRAM Rival 1x 11 on my gravel bike and it's stood up to some impressive abuse in the last couple of years. However, in the last few months, the double tap lever is starting to get a bit gummed up and losing some of its precision and clicks. A quick look online shows that SRAM has a maintenance video which involves you removing the cover from the lever, cleaning the ratchet off and squirting fresh oil in. Seems pretty straightforward and no awkward springs or anything to fly out, so I'll be giving it a go in the next weeks.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsofIXd4UKU

OP
OP
S

sasquath

(Isn't Deore a trigger shifter? So not a 1:1 replacement for a brifter? Does the bike have drop bars - or is there a flat bar variant of Apex?)
There is Apex 11s trigger shifter flat bar mounted, at least on Cannondale quick from 2017 ( bought new in 2019 from decathlon).
It looked and felt worse than my alivio though. Could be Cannondale special chinesium crap.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have had SRAM from Apex through to Red on my road bikes. Setup has never been an issue. Longevity of components though has been mixed. A few failures replaced under warranty and a few out of warranty.
All that said I have had failures with Shimano road kit, but I would say anecdotally that Shimano seems more reliable, but not perfect.

Milzy

Guru
When I’m using an Ultegra bike & a SRAM force bike soon, it might get confusing but I think I’ll like SRAM more as technically speaking the shifts will be a nano second quicker. You can’t beat shimano for all round performance. I know a few who swear by Campag but the consumables are so much more expensive albeit probably last longer.

Top Bottom