SRAM chain too short - can I use another Powerlink?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Are you super-tall?
:laugh:

I forgot to udpate about the noise problem. In the light of day (I was working in the dim garage yesterday because of the rain) I saw that the chain was indeed routed on the wrong side of the lug. Re-routing solved those issues. But what do you think about replacing the damaged link with a Powerlink: are Powerlinks best fit apart or are they OK together?
This is what the derraileur looks like on the large/large combination. What do you reckon: look OK?

CIMG3312.JPG

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think that SRAM state that you should not use more than 1 powerlink per chain but I could never see the reason for that unless it is a tacit admission that those links are not as strong as the standard links!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Glad the lug issue is sorted. Advice I have read on chain length is that as long as the chain retains an s shape between the jo key wheels it's ok. That latest photo looks fine. The formula for meeting plus two links means two sideplates and INCLUDES the powerlink. Therefore you at most half a link short but no more.
Ditch the damaged link and replace it with a powerlink. I would suggest away from the other powerlink.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Your chain length and derailleur angle looks the way I'd expect in that gear combination.

As far as using two quick links goes I hope it's okay coz that is what I have on my bike at the moment. (Measured big to big +2 links then got distracted and cut it 2 links too short.:wacko:) I've done about 100 miles so far with the 2 links fitted close together with no issues to report.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

Oh b@ll$ks! I'm getting sick of this! I've totally ballsed up! Took out the faulty link, and undid another further along the chain. Same problem - weakened link at that end. So now I'm just going to have to scrap that chain and start again! Really, I'm so fed up! If I can't do a silly little job like that without cocking up, what hope have I got?

ColinJ

Oh b@ll$ks! I'm getting sick of this! I've totally ballsed up! Took out the faulty link, and undid another further along the chain. Same problem - weakened link at that end. So now I'm just going to have to scrap that chain and start again! Really, I'm so fed up! If I can't do a silly little job like that without cocking up, what hope have I got?
Give it time - you'll get the hang of it!

(At least you now have a long length of spare chain to practice on ... :whistle:)

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

I've already given it 30 years! That's what happens when your parents forbid you from touching tools or doing the gardening or anything where you'll get your hands dirty. It's so frustrating though - I'm trying to do as much as I can in order to save money and be independant when I'm out touring - and I seem to be getting nowhere fast. It's a case of two steps forwards and one step back - and each mistake costs a fortune!

Cubist

Still wavin'
I'm a bit puzzled Jimmy. You split out the side plate off the link, and bin the rivets/pins. The pins on the power link replace them. I've put my phone number in a conversation to you if it would help me to talk you through it.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

There are lots of video clips on YouTube showing how to use a chain tool. It might be an idea to watch a couple of them so you can make sure that you are using the tool properly.

Yeah - I think the problem lies there. I must be crushing the links as I try to pull out the rivets. I've calmed down a bit now! Objectively, I have made a lot of progress with bicycle mechanics in the past couple of years - but it's been a long, and expensive, slog!
In the meantime, I'll buy a new chain!

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

Thanks for the phone number, Cubist, that's really very kind of you.
Thing is - I got a bit frustrated there! I ended up just putting the chain in a bag to bin later (rather - to take the council tip!). Also, I think I've probably damaged the chain to such a point that I'm asking for trouble - if anything happens to my chain in Norway, I could be a very long way from help.
Anyway, as to what happened - to be honest I'm not sure exactly. I'll try and explain a bit better now I'm calm and I'll post photos later on if you think it'll help.
I started off by unclipping the Powerlink to split the chain. I took off the Powerlink and removed the broken link. Then I thought to myself 'Ah, if I try putting the Powerlink that will replace this broken link I'll have to break a link somewhere else on the chain and risk cocking that up too.' You see: I forecast the trouble ahead!
However, I couldn't work out how to put two Powerlinks together to form a chain - they just didn't seem to be made to go together. This left me with no choice but to break the chain somewhere else. So I took a deep breath, and carefully took out a rivet from the other end of the chain. But I hadn't unscrewed the other end of the chain breaker (I think that was my error) and so instead of pushing out the rivet, it squeezed the chain to the point where I just decided that I couldn't risk using it anymore.

Thanks once again guys! I really appreciate the trouble you've all gone to help me with my little problem.

ColinJ

However, I couldn't work out how to put two Powerlinks together to form a chain - they just didn't seem to be made to go together.
Ah, well that definitely isn't possible! The normal kind of chain like that is made up of alternating inner and outer links. The outers hold the pins which go through holes in the inners. You don't have a choice - you have to alternate them and Powerlinks are outers.

(You can get funny things called half link chains, but let's not go there!)

It almost sounds like you were using the tool against a plate of the chain rather than a pin?

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

Yes, that'd explain why I couldn't put the two together! What a dim-wit! I think I had it in my mind that it was possible because someone said in the conversation in that link I posted that it was possible to make a complete chain out of Powerlinks - presumably using these half-link chain things.

It almost sounds like you were using the tool against a plate of the chain rather than a pin?

No, that's not what I was doing - at least I think not. I remembered doing that last time I changed a chain - when I was about 15 years old! I really don't know how I managed to damage the thing. I was careful not to push the pin against the plate.

Top Bottom