SRAM chain too short - can I use another Powerlink?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Have you routed the chain on the wrong side of the lug ?

boydj

Legendary Member
If that picture shows the chain on large/large, then I'd say it is plenty long enough. If you can change gear successfully thoughout the range, then there is no need to change anything - and as others have pointed out, large/large is not a ratio that you should be using anyway.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Sorry for being thick - but I don't know what you mean by routing the chain on the wrong side of the lug. Perhaps this is where my problems lie.
There is a metal lug on the leading edge of the mech cage. The chain should run from the sprocket onto the jockey wheel, then under the lug, and onto the bottom jockey. The photo looks like the chain is the wrong side of (ie outside) the lug.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
OK - I'll have another go tomorrow. This sounds very promising. Do you think it might explain the chain length issue too? I mean, if it's going the wrong side, I guess the chain needs to go further.
If I still find I haven't got enough chain, though, what do you think about taking out that damaged link and replacing it with a Powerlink (then there'll be two Powerlinks together)?
Thanks very much for your help, BTW. I was tearing my hair out over this!

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Mornin' all,

I'm off work this morning which is good ^_^ So I got back on with my bike nice 'n' early. There was something bothering me about this business and that is that my old chain had two links more than this new chain. I know that bikes often come out of the factory with chains that are too long, but this chain was installed last year by the guy known in Thessaloniki as "The Doctor" - any family connections, Doc? Anyway, The Doctor is apparently a bit of a celebrity amongst the cyclists in Thessaloniki as being the best bike mechanic in the town. Indeed, I had absolutely no problems with any of the work he'd done on my bike and I was only changing the chain as a precautionary measure. Actually, it hadn't stretched very much (more than 0.75 mm but less than 1 mm). Yet when I compared the old chain and the new chain, there was a big difference in length. Delving deeply into the Internet I found this. Looks like I'm not the only one to have this problem.
So, to cut a long story short (sorry about the pun!) - I undid the Powerlink of the new chain this morning and re-measured it using Sheldon's large/large technique. Here's a photo:

CIMG3310.JPG

What do you think? Does that count as two links larger or not (you can see that if you take out the Powerlink then the chain won't even meet).
While I'm at it, here's a photograph of the link I damaged. I guess it would be best to replace this with another Powerlink. Would it be best to put the new Powerlink somewhere else on the chain or would it be OK to have two Powerlinks together?
CIMG3309.JPG

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The chain length looks fine to me. I usually have to take about 4 links out of my new chains and I have pretty large (58 cm) bikes with pretty large big rings (52 or 53 teeth) and big sprockets (28 or 29 teeth) so I don't know why your new chains are too short. Are you super-tall?

If you still have that noise problem, check your b-screw adjustment .

Top Bottom