[SRAM] chainring surface flaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beardedwarbler

Morning,

I'm upping my mileage slightly and my chain is attracting the dreaded black gunk after a short number of miles, even with fair weather and - I would personally say - fairly light application of lube, with excess thoroughly wiped off.

On cleaning, it looks like the chainring is generating a lot of it - the ring's teeth were black, but the coating has clearly come off. Chain, rings and cassette are all fairly new. I can't imagine the coating would stand up to any significant usage.

Anyone else experienced this? I'm guessing there's not much for it, just wait?

Ta

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Always though SRAM stuff was a bit flaky ^_^

silva

Über Member
I remember, years ago, cleaned the rims thoroughly, replaced brake pads, and my rims were coated with black grit just a couple days later, no rain, no mud, no dust. Apparently, the new brake pads had a kinda surface material that was scraped off quickly.

gbb

Legendary Member
Breaking it down as I read it (and its my interpretation so I may be wrong)
Excess oil on the chainring particually. What oil are you using ? If its light and fluid, its just a fact of life, the dust, debris, metal particles that gets chucked out a chain is dirty and black. Do you heavily oil your chain ? Personally, I only drop a little drop on each roller, no more and I still get dirty chainrings. Only consolation is its a quick wipe to get it clean again.
Flaky chainrings ? Plating sounds as though its coming off. Maybe a failure in the manufacturing process but I wouldn't have thought its anything serious, just a cosmetic thing.

Top Bottom