Sram Etap on Shimano Ultegra Bits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrMe

Hi, trying to upgrade my groupset, I have:
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8
  • Shimano Ultegra R8000
  • Ultegra 11 speed cassette

I can’t realistically buy the whole groupset for Etap, with the 12 speed cassette due to me and my partner sharing regular use of our Tacx Neo, she has Shimano 105 on her bike.

So, would it work if I bought the shifters and the front and rear derailleurs and kept the existing rim brakes, crankset and rear cassette?

I appreciate this will not be optimal for performance etc. but it’s quite important to be able to use the smart trainer regularly without having to switch the freehub and cassette over everytime we need to use it. Obviously I can just stick with the mechanical set up but I’d really like to switch to electronic shifting.

Thanks in Advance

vickster

Legendary Member
Ultegra Di2 is 11 speed?

OP
OP
M

MrMe

12 speed shifters and 11 gears. Interesting experiment for you.
I assumed the set up and app you can tell the wireless system that it’s 11 speed? Theoretically the eTap should be able to handle 1-100 speed on the shifters, it’s just a signal being sent.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
You could try and get hold of the last gen Red etap..there may be some floating around on eBay etc. That was 11 spd and should work with your existing cassette and brakes.

The new stuff is 12 speed only...no way to set fewer gears on the software.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Not pushing you away from SRAM but I'd check that 'apparently' just so you know the options.
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-bikes/race-bikes/aeroad/aeroad-cf-sl-8.0-di2/2088.html
There are two different frames, mechanical and electrical.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrMe

Ha this is fun, always a solution! So as I see it so far:
  • Can't use the newest Etap Force as it's 12 speed only and I'd like to keep the 11 speed for the Tacx
  • The Red Etap is also 12 speed only? But the older version is 11
  • If I switched the whole groupset to Force, I couldn't use the Tacx Neo due to having the Ultegra rear cassette for my gf's 105 bike
  • Can't use the DI2 due to having to drill the frame (voiding the frame warranty) to fit the cables and there would be no where to store the battery?

OP
OP
M

MrMe

You could try and get hold of the last gen Red etap..there may be some floating around on eBay etc. That was 11 spd and should work with your existing cassette and brakes.

The new stuff is 12 speed only...no way to set fewer gears on the software.
Good advice thanks, looking into that

Top Bottom