Sram etap or Dura Ace Di2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2old2care

Über Member
Hi I can't decide between etap or di2, I've never tried either. What are the good and bad points of each system.

Drago

Legendary Member
Try them, see which you prefer. You'd be daft to drop that much cash without doing so.

I have been running DI2 on a bike for over 30000 miles, in that time I have had one problem with it (a dodgy wire)
A friend of mine replaced his DI2 with Etap and was saying it was the best thing since sliced bread, until 500 miles later the rear mech stopped working and had to be sent back for a replacement. He says the etap is easier to set up, but you cannot adjust it while riding as you can with DI2. The only thing I have noticed, is that while following him, his gears are always skipping with Etap!
I will stick with the DI2.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Hi I can't decide between etap or di2, I've never tried either. What are the good and bad points of each system.
What bike/frame are you thinking of putting it on??

I currently use both systems.......reasons for choosing

Titanium frame is non di2 ready, so the ease of fitting etap to this frame was the deciding factor

The di2 is on my ebike commuter, easy to hide the cables and the battery, along with the clutched mech of the xt di2 for off-road use

Both systems are being run in a 1x11 configuration along with xd driver rear hub and 10/42 cassettes

Last edited:
OP
OP
2old2care

2old2care

Über Member
What bike/frame are you thinking of putting it on??

I currently use both systems.......reasons for choosing

Titanium frame is non di2 ready, so the ease of fitting etap to this frame was the deciding factor

The di2 is on my ebike commuter, easy to hide the cables and the battery, along with the clutched mech of the xt di2 for off-road use

Both systems are being run in a 1x11 configuration along with xt driver rear hub and 10/42 cassettes

I'm thinking of using a Ribble Endurance SLR Disc, so it can be either system and is available with either. I'm leaning towards the shimano as it's programmable and the batteries are more secure.

OP
OP
2old2care

2old2care

Über Member
I have been running DI2 on a bike for over 30000 miles, in that time I have had one problem with it (a dodgy wire)
A friend of mine replaced his DI2 with Etap and was saying it was the best thing since sliced bread, until 500 miles later the rear mech stopped working and had to be sent back for a replacement. He says the etap is easier to set up, but you cannot adjust it while riding as you can with DI2. The only thing I have noticed, is that while following him, his gears are always skipping with Etap!
That's the sort of information that you don't always hear about and why I need the forums help.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Your friends talking bullshit about adjusting etap on the fly.........its easier to do on the etap than it is on the di2 as its all done on the etap paddle, rather than trying to locate the button at the bottom of the junction A box......i adjusted me etap single handledy riding up alp de huez after hastely putting bike back together after a longish drive from switzerland

Also as yet no firmware updates required for the etap, but numerous updates on shimano ultegra, dura ace, xt, xtr di2

Last edited:
OP
OP
2old2care

2old2care

Über Member
Your friends talking bullshit about adjusting etap on the fly.........its easier to do on the etap than it is on the di2 as its all done on the etap paddle, rather than trying to locate the button at the bottom of the junction A box......i adjusted me etap single handledy riding up alp de huez after hastely putting bike back together after a longish drive from switzerland

Also as yet no firmware updates required for the etap, but numerous updates on shimano ultegra, dura ace, xt, xtr di2
Many thanks for the information, a great insight.

gmw492

Veteran
I'm thinking of using a Ribble Endurance SLR Disc, so it can be either system and is available with either. I'm leaning towards the shimano as it's programmable and the batteries are more secure.
Bike looks great I was in Ribble the other week with my son picking up his Sportive, I am after the sl non disc, would like to hear your review on it if you get one

I've run eTap on my Mason for about 3500 miles and I've been very pleased with it. The f and r derailleur have each each needed one minor tweak to fine tune the indexing in that time and no other attention has been needed. The rear battery needed replacing a couple of weeks ago when the holding tab broke off (didn't affect its operation) - SRAM provided a new one without any question, via my LBS, who did the build. Battery life life isn't an issue for me - I tend to charge mine once a month regardless and have only seen mid-life flashing on the rear derailleur once. Shifter batteries are still the originals. I've no experience of Di2, but have used all manner of Shimano gearing right back to pre-indexing days. I do feel Shimano shifting is a tad slicker, but it's subjective, and I am running an 11-32 with a 46/30 sub-compact, so perhaps not an optimum SRAM set up anyway. No plans to change it for the forseeable, or at least until Shimano launch their wireless version ...

avsd

Guru
I am a Shimano/Di2 fan so bear that in mind. If your frame can take internal wiring I would go with the Ultegra Di2. If not the SRAM Wireless is straightforward installation. Both have too many users and been around for a few year so are reliable. There is no real benefit on Dura Ace apart from brand which can be important for some.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've been using DA Di2 for a few months now, it's fabulous. I've heard good things about the eTap but haven't used it personally.

Top Bottom