Sram force Etap ? Any users

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seems this might be the electric groupset of choice for a while.

Thought I read somewhere it had more batteries and took more charging than Di2 ??

Any user experience likes/dislikes / problems ?

A battery on each mech and coin batteries on the shifters.
Apparently heavier and slower (marginally) than Di2 as Shimano only has the one battery.

The new di2 does have coin batteries in the shifters as it's semi wireless.

You might want to read a few more reviews though - what's important to you in your shifting ,?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Seems this might be the electric groupset of choice for a while.

Thought I read somewhere it had more batteries and took more charging than Di2 ??

Any user experience likes/dislikes / problems ?
i have had both DI2 and Sram etap and tbh they are both brilliant systems........if you like to fiddle, clean and build bikes, then sram etap is a no brainer as its fully wireless and the micro adjust to ensure good gear changes on the fly is brilliant...

and di2 is muh the same, but with wires......as for charging they both do around 1000 miles per charge

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
A battery on each mech and coin batteries on the shifters.
Apparently heavier and slower (marginally) than Di2 as Shimano only has the one battery.

The new di2 does have coin batteries in the shifters as it's semi wireless.

You might want to read a few more reviews though - what's important to you in your shifting ,?
I have ultegra Di2 which I love.

Looking at a new bike - in all probability Di2 won't be available - if it is no brainer I go for that. Just wondered what real world experience of Di2 was.

jowwy

I have ultegra Di2 which I love.

Looking at a new bike - in all probability Di2 won't be available - if it is no brainer I go for that. Just wondered what real world experience of Di2 was.
what do you mean by this???

i mean it changes gear, its quick at doing that, theres no cables to stretch, easy to set-up and adjust, you can add other changers within the system so hand movement is minimal, it can run your garmin, your garmin can show battery levels, what gear your in etc etc etc

Mo1959

Legendary Member

i mean it changes gear, its quick at doing that, theres no cables to stretch, easy to set-up and adjust, you can add other changers within the system so hand movement is minimal, it can run your garmin, your garmin can show battery levels, what gear your in etc etc etc
You're selling it to me! :laugh:

Funny how I've heard quite a few folks promoting the new di2 in various channels (instagram/youtube) by saying "wireless where it matters" as a response to the public's expectation for something wireless and at least on par with sram etap :laugh::laugh:

jowwy

Have to be honest, my preference was the etap, as i had it on a titanium frame with no DI2 routing....so it was great not to have cables all over the frame, except for the hydro's brake hoses.

Sometimes i wish i never sold it, but at the time it just wasn't being used as i had the two ebikes......

T4tomo

Guru
Yeah that slogan struck me as a bit defensive. "Wireless, except for that ... er ... wire. Which doesn't matter"
Playing devils avocado, there is a bit difference between a wire transferring an electric signal to a motor on a mech (vs bluetooth transmission), and a piece of stainless steel pulling against a spring. Cosmetics and "clean looks" and transferability between frames / retrofit-ability, to take jowwy's point, favour bluetooth / etap, but an actual wire is arguably marginally more reliable for transmitting an electric signal, which is the point the Di2 advertising is trying to make.

I'm still fully mechanical so can't offer an opinion to the OP, unless its down tubes vs barcons vs modern brifters (they all work btw!) :okay:

Just musing I'm guessing you could retrofit etap to a 531 frame, proving you spread the rear dropout to 130mm to accomodate a modern 11/12 spd wheel?

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru

Pretty much as you've answered. !!!!

Sounds like an option.

mustang1

Guru
Some questions here:
When Shimano say the new 2022 Di2 is semi-wireless, that just means it's wired, right, but with just a couple of less cables? But ultimately, it's wired.
Why do electronic gears still need manual micro adjustments?

TIA.

mustang1

Guru
Funny how I've heard quite a few folks promoting the new di2 in various channels (instagram/youtube) by saying "wireless where it matters" as a response to the public's expectation for something wireless and at least on par with sram etap :laugh::laugh:
Yeah! Wireless where it matters until we've figured out how to make it fully wireless, then we'll have something new to sell you. I'm surprised that SRAM beat Shimano to a fully wireless setup a while back.

jowwy

Some questions here:
When Shimano say the new 2022 Di2 is semi-wireless, that just means it's wired, right, but with just a couple of less cables? But ultimately, it's wired.
Why do electronic gears still need manual micro adjustments?

TIA.
maybe its because they can be used on rim brake wheelsets 130mm dropouts, disc brake 135mm dropouts and 142mm.......and as the tolerances for all these are prob +-1mm, then the micro adjust is needed to ensure precise shifting...you will also get tolerances between cassettes etc etc that need ironing out too

I think there is more too it than just the wires. Once installed you shouldn't really have to mess with it again.
Operation of the shifting is more the key for me - you'll do that all of the time every ride.

Shimano - up and down with each lever.
Sram - right lever to make it harder, left for easier. Both to change the front mech.

I believe both can be set so that you change gears to avoid cross chaining - it will select the next hardest/easiest gear - we all know we have duplicates that can be avoided by shifting front mech - but I for one have never worked this out for a particular bike - so I just estimate what I'm doing. I guess that would be more advantageous than just changing without cable.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/di2-vs-etap/

Lots to study.

mustang1

Guru
maybe its because they can be used on rim brake wheelsets 130mm dropouts, disc brake 135mm dropouts and 142mm.......and as the tolerances for all these are prob +-1mm, then the micro adjust is needed to ensure precise shifting...you will also get tolerances between cassettes etc etc that need ironing out too
Ah thanks. I thought the adjustment was required, for example, while you're riding as osmething might go out of alignment.

Top Bottom