Sram GXP 2 non drive crank arm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

addman100

Guru
Hi,
Can anybody please help me the method for installing the non drive crank arm.
The crank is a Sram GXP 2, the bottom bracket is installed along with the drive side but I've not seen this before.
Please see photos.
Many thanks
20160311_144656.jpg
20160311_144707.jpg

The loose nut on the left fits inside the large nut on the crank eye so that you access the nut on the left's hex hole with an allan key pushed through the large nut on the crank itself.
Do not remove the nut on the crank at all. Besides, it is a left hand thread. Make absolutely sure you have the splines lined up properly. This is a blind spline and getting it wrong means you will open new spine grooves with the ease of a can opener opening a can of beans.

Removal is simply the reverse. You put an 8mm(?) allen key through the large nut hole and keep on turning anti-clockwise until it pushes the crank off. It is a self-extracting design and the nut on the crank itself is the extractor cap.

Torque to 40NM when tightening the nut and make sure you have applied copper compound on the aluminium nut's threads before screwing it into the steel crank spindle.

OP
OP
addman100

addman100

Guru
Thanks for your advice.
I've tried inserting the loose nut in the crank eye but it's too big? The diameter of the loose nut is larger than the hole in the crank arm with the splines.

Thanks for your advice.
I've tried inserting the loose nut in the crank eye but it's too big? The diameter of the loose nut is larger than the hole in the crank arm with the splines.
Aha! Ignore what I said. I dot have my wits about me. Lemme think it over again.

Last edited:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Just unscrew the cap and insert from the otherwise. That is the only way to get that nut out on my gxp Sram cranks.

OP
OP
addman100

addman100

Guru
Thanks for all the replies.
The silver cap on the crank arm spins but is not threaded so it doesn't actually unscrew.
The Allen key keyway is wider on the cap that the silver screw, the silver screw is the matching thread for the drive crank shaft poking through the bottom bracket.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Thats odd...all my sram and raceface cranks are the same..the bolt is lose fitted inside and the outer is the
Puller..
Or rather it is what the inner bolt pushes when undoing..
the only thing id look for is a snap ring holding the outer bolt..circlip etc as thats the only way the outer could freely rotate..as you appear to have no thread? Which it should...

is this crank set second hand ?

OP
OP
addman100

addman100

Guru
I'll check tomorrow as it's at work.
Yes, it was a second hand purchase about 6 months ago and I've only just got round to building the bike.

Top Bottom