Sram or Shimano

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banksy1

Can someone explain the double tap and difference in shimano please. Is it s simple case of pressing the lever twice to go up a gear and once to drop a gear for sram?

vickster

Legendary Member
Essentially yes. With SRAM the brake lever doesn't move, only the lever below as you describe, it's double tap to go into an easier gear. With shimano, toy need to shift with the brake lever and the lever below

With SRAM you can fit a wider 11-32 cassette, not sure that's possible with Shimano

MiK1138

Veteran
Can someone explain the double tap and difference in shimano please. Is it s simple case of pressing the lever twice to go up a gear and once to drop a gear for sram?
On the SRAM system there is 1 lever behind the Brake Lever, to move the rear up a gear (smaller cog) you push (tap) this lever 1 click to move back down a gear (larger cog) you push and hold the Double Tap name is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion as you would only "Double Tap if moving up the gears rapidly

Banksy1

On the SRAM system there is 1 lever behind the Brake Lever, to move the rear up a gear (smaller cog) you push (tap) this lever 1 click to move back down a gear (larger cog) you push and hold the Double Tap name is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion as you would only "Double Tap if moving up the gears rapidly
Thanks for the info, I visited Halfords over the weekend to test SRAM and Shimano gears out and like the SRAM idea but though the shifter was a little bit light weight plastic and may snap if pushed too far. The Shimano system did feel a better quality but more of a hindrance having to move the whole brake lever across to move up a gear rather than the small shifter.

Citius

Anything will snap if you put enough pressure on it. The SRAM levers, however, are very reliable. They test for stuff like that.

cityfan247

Ridden with Sram for 5 years. Never a problem. Very reliable.

As i have said both are quality brands and products.

Really a personal choice of which shifting method you prefer.

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Ridden with Sram for 5 years. Never a problem. Very reliable.
As i have said both are quality brands and products.
Really a personal choice of which shifting method you prefer.
I agree having just changed my bike which came with sram i do prefer it over Shimano.
Having said that it wouldn't be a decider if i liked the bike i was buying. :okay:

MiK1138

Veteran
Thanks for the info, I visited Halfords over the weekend to test SRAM and Shimano gears out and like the SRAM idea but though the shifter was a little bit light weight plastic and may snap if pushed too far. The Shimano system did feel a better quality but more of a hindrance having to move the whole brake lever across to move up a gear rather than the small shifter.
yeah its unfortunate that the modern SRAM has plastic levers mine are metal

Top Bottom