SRAM Powerlinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
I tried a KMC Shimano specific quicklink on an Ultegra 9 spd chain. It wouldn't fit - pants. However the SRAM 9spd link I purchased instead fitted perfectly.

As already said 10 spd chains are little tricky as no quick link is currently made by SRAM or Shimano for 10 spd. All theirs are one use links only. I'm loathed to try KMC quicklinks again for 10spd after the 9 spd debacle. Oh and the KMC Campag specific quicklink supposedly for Campag 10 spd chains didn't fit either. IMHO the only thing KMC quicklinks will fit is KMC chains :biggrin:. I bought a Wipperman Connex 10spd Campag specific link which is perfect. So verdict - KMC links pants unless used on KMC chains.

Crankarm said:
So verdict - KMC links pants unless used on KMC chains.
The 105 (10spd) chain on my Kinesis came with a KMC link and I've not had any problems, that said though I've never bothered to open and close the link and its not a scientific test as its only 1 case.

adscrim

Veteran
Crankarm said:
I tried a KMC Shimano specific quicklink on an Ultegra 9 spd chain. It wouldn't fit - pants. However the SRAM 9spd link I purchased instead fitted perfectly.

So verdict - KMC links pants unless used on KMC chains.

I use KMC links on 9 and 10 speed 105 chains without issue.

afl2

Über Member
Yip you can use SRAM power links but on a 10sp its permanent (ie use once), if you are wanting something which you can open and close a few times go for something like a KMC missing link.
I am trying to get my 10 speed link sram open. Having just read this, Is it right that only one use???

Steve T

Veteran
Clarks also make a similar device and are available in Halfords for around £3-4 a pair. I use them all the time and have had no issues with them.

afl2

Über Member
You cant reopen a SRAM 10 spd link open but you can with a KMC; if you are wanting to take the chain off regularly, use KMC :thumbsup:
Thanks for the reply.
Have ordered the kmc link.
Managed to get it separated after watching video on you tube.
Thanks agian

shadow master

SRAM power links in 10 speed are hard to get on and off,kmc are much easier I have fitted dozens of them on 10 and even 11 speed,I Don't remember a single failure,plus promotes chain life as you can remove the chain to clean properly.also FSA do some good ones.

Top Bottom