SRAM Powerlinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spacecat

Hi everyone

After years of MTBing I've finally got myself a road bike. I couldn't see the attraction of it before, but it's fab :evil:

I have always used SRAM chains on my MTB's with Powerlinks. I like the ease of removal for cleaning and I think that someone once said to me that SRAM chains were better than Shimano chains.

My road bike has a 10 speed 105 chain and I have seen that you can get powerlinks for 10 speed chains.

My question is if I put one on would it be strong enough, on what appears to me to be a very thin chain, and would it affect the unbelievably smooth shifting? Also are they compatible with Shimano chains (I always thought that they were).

Thanks

Al

Yip you can use SRAM power links but on a 10sp its permanent (ie use once), if you are wanting something which you can open and close a few times go for something like a KMC missing link.

I use the KMC link instead and a spare one on long rides can be useful. Road chains do get surprisingly grubby too but I usually don't bother taking it off to clean; I use the mickle method (if you search the forum you'll find an explanation of the mickle method).

Fiona N

Veteran
Don't worry. I've got an 11 speed chain - now that really does look thin compared to a mtb 9-speed chain :ohmy:

Mark_Robson

adscrim said:
I use a KMC missing link on a 10sp 105 chain with no problems.
+1 and I always carry a spare and a splitter just in case of an emergency.

OP
OP
S

spacecat

Thanks everyone

I will send for a KMC. I just want the option of being able to remove the chain easily to be able to give everything else a good clean aswell. You are all really helpful

PS. Other roadies speak to me now lol.

battered

Guru
Cleaning a chain. Tut tut. No good will come of that. Sounds like terminal roady OCD to me. I thought you were just supposed to add a few drops of oil now and again and ignore it until the cassette or chainwheel fell off.:ohmy:

BSA

Is the KMC Missling Link a pain to get off? I read a couple of comments elsewhere that said they struggled to re-open the link.

I notice you can buy special pliers to open them.

Bruce

BSA said:
Is the KMC Missling Link a pain to get off? I read a couple of comments elsewhere that said they struggled to re-open the link.

I notice you can but special pliers to open them.

Yes they are dead easy on an 8 speed chain, but can be a right bugger on a 10 speed!

zacklaws

Guru
On a ten speed they can be a real bugger to get off as mentioned, but then sometimes they just come apart with hardly any effort. I struggled to get one off a little while ago, then all of a sudden it came apart real easy after about 10 minutes of wriggling it about, so being a bit of a dick at times, I reconnected it again to try and work out how I did it, after another 10 minutes it reopened again but I was still no wiser how I did it.

Anyway, I queried it in my LBS, and they said, get a pair of pipe pliers, put one jaw on the pin and the other on the edge of the link and gently squeeze and sure enough the link just comes apart.

Top Bottom