SRAM Rival 22 vs. Shimano 105 5800

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
All my bikes run 105, so its out in the salt and rain, whether its too good or not

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh, no, it may not be less maintenance, though belts are supposed to be lower maintenance, but I'm not riding 16 miles a day on a single speed...
Why not? Is it hilly? On the flat around here, I find single speed no harder than the geared bikes

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I commute year round on my "good" road bike. Yes, it gets more wear and tear than if was pampered in some air conditioned shrine, but I just like riding it. I'm prepared to have to replace parts as they wear out. I've never tried SRAM, but my last bike had 105s. I now have Campag Veloce which I much prefer. The shape of the hoods just suits me and I really like the thumb up-shifter for the rear mech.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
Why not? Is it hilly? On the flat around here, I find single speed no harder than the geared bikes
No, but I've had my knees get sore quite a few times from pedalling too hard. I have to keep an eye on my cadence to stop that from becoming a bigger problem. Not so easy on a single-speed.

I commute year round on my "good" road bike. Yes, it gets more wear and tear than if was pampered in some air conditioned shrine, but I just like riding it. I'm prepared to have to replace parts as they wear out. I've never tried SRAM, but my last bike had 105s. I now have Campag Veloce which I much prefer. The shape of the hoods just suits me and I really like the thumb up-shifter for the rear mech.

This! Exactly this! I expect I'll go through chains and cogs more quickly, but that's okay.

I like the look and feel of the SRAM, but I've yet to ride one. That will be the deciding factor, of course.

Last year I ran my best bike all through the winter (about 5000miles all told) and that has DI2 fitted. The only noticable wear was to the chain and cassette and you would get that regardless of what groupset you are using. Use whatever you feel the most comfortable on. I think most groupsets now are very good as long as they are set up well and you are only paying for lighter componants or electrickery. The only issue may be that as parts get lighter, they can also lose some of the durability that the cheaper groupsets have.

Top Bottom