Sram x3 7 Speed shifter help on kids bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

46philh

Newbie alert. - Swapping sram gripshift to a SRAM X3 Trigger Shifter Set (7 Speed) Rear mech is SRAM 7 speed. Bike is 20inch carrera blast.

When I attach the cable I cannot get it move more than 3 gears on the rear. (The window on the shifters show 7 with it at 1 when I attached the cable.) I am not sure if it is the tension on of the cable I am getting totally wrong or what.

I gently pushed the rear mech all the way to the largest sprocket and attached the cable. Manged to move 3 gears but that's it. Have tried adjusting high and low screws.

How do I tell if the shifter is faulty or not ? If I disconnect the cable should I be able to thumb shift the shifter from 1 to 7 without it being attached to anything?

boydj

Legendary Member
I did this recently for one of my grandkids. Detach the cable from the mech and, holding the cable in your fingers, operate the shifter to make sure the cable is being moved. It's probably useful to make sure that the cable is fully seated in the shifter by pushing and pulling on the cable and checking under the rubber at the shifter. When attaching the cable, make sure the shifter is set at selecting the smallest cog (assuming the shifter pulls the cable to make the mech go from smaller to larger cogs), the chain is on the smallest cog and keep some tension on the cable with your fingers until it is attached.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
Newbie alert. - Swapping sram gripshift to a SRAM X3 Trigger Shifter Set (7 Speed) Rear mech is SRAM 7 speed. Bike is 20inch carrera blast.

When I attach the cable I cannot get it move more than 3 gears on the rear. (The window on the shifters show 7 with it at 1 when I attached the cable.) I am not sure if it is the tension on of the cable I am getting totally wrong or what.

I gently pushed the rear mech all the way to the largest sprocket and attached the cable. Manged to move 3 gears but that's it. Have tried adjusting high and low screws.

How do I tell if the shifter is faulty or not ? If I disconnect the cable should I be able to thumb shift the shifter from 1 to 7 without it being attached to anything?
You need the shifter to be showing 7 when you attach the cable. The derailleur should be over the smallest cog, not the largest, when reattaching a new cable.

Reactions: C R

boydj

Legendary Member
You need the shifter to be showing 7 when you attach the cable. The derailleur should be over the smallest cog, not the largest, when reattaching a new cable.

It depends on which direction the derailleur is pulled by the cable. The shifter should be set so that the cable is at its slackest.

Top Bottom