SRAM X5 Vs Shimano Acera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
it will be mainly used off road, so I guess a lockout is kind of pointless.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Sittingduck said:
it will be mainly used off road, so I guess a lockout is kind of pointless.
Disagree I'm afraid. There are plenty of climbs off road where locking the suspension will give you less bob.

Newy71

As a newbie, i have had a few bad experiences. having little or no knowledge when i started, i was talked into buying a Carrera Vengeance. Found out the pre-load adjusters didnt work on the Suntour XCM's. They werent broke, they were just crap forks. The bike had SRAM X4' front and rear mechs. After 6 weeks, the rear mech hanger snapped while riding on tarmac(???). took it back and the shop replaced it. Since then the gears havent worked properly. Have now got an XC bike with shimano's front and rear plus shifters, and the difference is amazing. Used to have shimano's on my road bike set up, and they never let me down.
So i think it comes down to experience and ultimately preference.

Drago

Legendary Member
Been running X5 mech with SX5 triggers on one of my steeds for a number of years, and apart from the trigger action being a little beaver than Deore gave found it to be a excellent set up, even more tolerant of abusers and needing less adjustment than Deore.

I'd agree with the gent above in that X5?is proper decent kit, more on a par with Deore than lowly Acera. I wouldn't have any lower than Deore or X5 on any of my MTBs or commuters.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
31565d1270489092-little-known-facts-regarding-world-war-2-holy-thread-resurrection.jpg

Top Bottom