SRAM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
What's the cheapest aluminium framed/carbon forked road bike out there with SRAM Apex gearing that will take mudguards and a rack? I have found the £800 Boardman (not sure if can be fully commuterised) or for a bit under £800, you can spec the Ribble winter/audax 7005 bike with SRAM

Alternatively Tiagra & carbon forks?

Cheers :becool:

I was going to suggest the Boardman CX Team when I saw the clipped header of your post, but you've beat me to it :smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers. I have to confess that I don't much like the look of the Boardman bikes - female you see, aesthetics are the most important, followed by ease of use (hence SRAM, and I have on my carbon roadbike). Just got a mad notion that I may like drops for commuting and the current bike will take no commuter adornments!

lejogger

Guru
Have you looked at the Dolan website? You can build up a Preffisio with Apex, and that will happily take guards and a rack. You'd be looking at around £700

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I have never heard of Dolan, will take a look

The Boardman is £630 at my local branch - but no holes for rack and looks like no space for guards, so no good

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Road version, comp - the white one. No holes anywhere on the frame that I could see

stephen.rooke

if you go to the halfords site you can see a video about the boardman bikes

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you have a link, the site is a maze!

If the bike won't take rack and guards, it's of no interest as a commuter. I have a carbon road bike for "fun"

stephen.rooke

select a boardman bike and where the pictures are, select video and it tells you about the different bikes, says itll take mud guards but dont think it said about racks

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers. I am surpised it'll take guards, the clearance looked minimal but what do I know

lejogger

Guru
The road comp takes guards... there are definitely eyelets for it.
There are no alternatives for a rack though... you'd have to make use of p clips, a qr skewer adapter, or a seatpost rack.
The CX has eyelets for both but is a little more expensive and perhaps a mite heavier... but designed for a different purpose.

I can't believe you've never heard of Dolan... as in Terry Dolan the Internationally renowned frame builder... worked with Chris Boardman throughout his career.... no?!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't know anything much about cycling people / history...I have heard of Chris Boardman and Lance Armstrong :smile:

I don't want a CX bike, looking for something quicker than the Sirrus potentially

RhythMick

Über Member
Try the Planet X Kaffenback. It's steel not Alu but the weight diff isn't great. I've found it a great all round bike with drops and I think they do it with Apex fairly cheap.

Top Bottom