SS chain tension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mojorisin

I converted a vertical drop bike to SS. I have a wolf tooth 34 in front and 15 in back. Paul’s chain tensioner. No matter what length the chain it skips on tough climbs. The shorter the chain the better but this goes against the advice of Paul’s having the bogey wheels vertical. Suggestions?

Sharky

Guru
Could you try a half link chain connector and give the tensioner back to Paul?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Are you using a proper single-speed sprocket or one off a cassette? The latter is much less likely to work. Larger sprocket & chainring might also improve matters.

OP
OP
M

Mojorisin

Yes. SS specific cog. Thought about going to 38 /18 bit was hoping to avoid the costs. I ran the 34/15 with my eccentric BB. Maybe the wrong ratio for a tensioner....?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Have you got a perfect chainline?

I made my own singlespeed bike and my first attempt kept dropping the chain. I shifted the cog over one spacer and achieved this, which has been very reliable...

Singlespeed chainline spacers doofer chain tensioner.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've just noticed that the photo shows my bike with the chain tensioner as supplied. It had a spring pushing the tension arm down but I didn't like the small amount of chain wrapped round the sprocket so I modified the tensioner. I took the spring out and got the tensioner to push the chain up instead. I don't need a spring - I just tighten the tensioner up in the correct position. When the chain wears, I retension and it is fine for a few hundred more miles.

Top Bottom