Stag Weekend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

I'm off on a stag weekend in Galway next weekend. As Best Man, I feel a duty to humiliate and embarrass the groom in some way. I've known him for 10 years, he's from Stirling but moved to Ireland about 5 years ago, and met his fiancee there. There's a problem:

1. He wants a sedate affair; his Dad, uncle and a lot of his inlaws-to-be will be in attendance.

2. I've never met most of them so can't tell how any planned japery might go down.

Firstly should I heed his wishes and secondly, assuming the answer is no, what can I do that would be tame enough for everyone else but embarrassing for him?

domtyler

Über Member
Half a dozen prostitutes and a big bag of coke should kick things off nicely.

Melvil

And a selection of farmyard animals all dolled up to the nines in sexy lingerie/rubber should, of course, amuse.

Melvil

But seriously, I've got to organise a stag do soon and I'm in the same quandry...trouble is I'm never very good at seeing where the line is, never mind not crossing it. Good luck with yours!

ChrisKH

Guru
I had Kart racing, curry & a club. Fairy sedate but good fun. I've been on paintball stag do's which were good, followed by an inebriated evening in an Irish pub in North London. That was sedate enough for the older guys but fun for the young 'uns.

slow down

He's from Scotland, now in Ireland and I presume his in-laws are Irish?

I expect enough will be drank to not worry about whether what goes on! Plenty cling film should be taken though for the customary naked wrapping of the groom-to-be to a lampost.xx(

JamesAC

You could have increasingly outre events staged over the course of the w/e, making it clear that no-one (other than you and the poor sodding groom) is obliged to stay the whole course: start off with straight-forward alcohol, move on to slightly more risque things xx(:biggrin:.

But, please don't forget, one of your duties as best man is to see that the groom gets to the church (or whatever) in a fit state to marry his bride!

Cheers

Canrider

Guru
I confess I organised my own in conjunction with the best man..

Met in a pub at lunch, drank sedately but amusingly all afternoon, then rolled into a 20/20 cricket match for the evening. Very nice, everyone got on well, no strippers. Sorted.

Given what you've said, I'd say no more japery than making the groom wear an outfit that's funny but won't get him into trouble (think 'supporter's kit of his club's arch-rival'). If it's to be two groups that don't really know each other (Dad+inlaws v. groom's mates), put most of your effort into getting to know them and introducing them to folks they might like on the other side of the line. In my case, my brother in law is a baseball player and my Dad is a massive baseball fan, and the mates of mine that came out all play cricket on the same team = instant discussion of sport. Result.

QuickDraw

Canrider said:
Given what you've said, I'd say no more japery than making the groom wear an outfit that's funny but won't get him into trouble (think 'supporter's kit of his club's arch-rival')

Under no circumstances let him wander about Galway late at night wearing a Rangers strip. For one thing you'd have to handle it and who knows what sort of damage that could do.

Has he got brothers that could give you an insight to the family and how far to push it? If not you could tell his Dad you want to give him a traditional send off and has he got any ideas.

Failing that organise it to start at lunchtime and get the old boys totally steamin then suggest going to a club they'll soon disappear and the rest of the night is yours.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Organise it so that you go to a long thin bar with a door at either end. Get a group of lovely women to do a very straight-faced riverdance in a line, in one door and out the other, dressed in black. Then they whip their clothes off and go back through the bar doing riverdance again, but totally naked. You never see them again. You don't mention it. You just carry on with your evening.

Perhaps the best thing is to book something innocuous, while hinting that something ghastly is lined up, like an evening of humiliation in a gay brothel. Lots of whispers about having lubricant and special strength condoms ready should help maintain an air of anticipation.

domtyler

Über Member
Patrick Stevens said:
Lots of whispers about having lubricant and special strength condoms ready should help maintain an air of anticipation.

Don't ask me why but I now have an image of you walking through a field wearing a barbour jacket and green wellies during the early evening amongst a flock of very nervous looking sheep. xx(:sad:

KitsuneAndy

Tetedelacourse said:
I'm off on a stag weekend in Galway next weekend. As Best Man, I feel a duty to humiliate and embarrass the groom in some way. I've known him for 10 years, he's from Stirling but moved to Ireland about 5 years ago, and met his fiancee there. There's a problem:

1. He wants a sedate affair; his Dad, uncle and a lot of his inlaws-to-be will be in attendance.

2. I've never met most of them so can't tell how any planned japery might go down.

Firstly should I heed his wishes and secondly, assuming the answer is no, what can I do that would be tame enough for everyone else but embarrassing for him?

My friends stag was good.

We went paintballing from 9am - 4pm, then back to the hotels to get changed, then out to a Jongleurs comedy club in Camden, then back to the hotel. Nice sedate affair, but great fun. £100 all in as well (well, extra paint cost more). We also got to play against some of the Eastenders cast by share fluke. Shooting Martin Fowler in the face is very very satisfying.

Top Bottom