Stage 11 spoiler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Headbutting Dean was one thing but deliberately moving over to block Farrar seems to have been what got him a ticket home.

Yeah Cav suffers, but if Renshaw is deliberately blocking rivals for him (and I'm not accusing Cav of having anything to do with it, before the fanboys start hopping up and down :rolleyes:) then it's only fair that the pain gets shared. Simply fining the team or relegating Renshaw on the stage would be meaningless.

If HTC don't like it, tough.

I missed the full sprint video, my 12 week old nephew times it perfectly to start playing up in the last 10km or so. Out of the corner of my eye, when I was comforting him, I saw Cav win and the Headbutt but I missed the block on Farrar. In that case Cav was lucky IMO not to have been stripped of the win but I suppose they can't really prove he had any involvement :wacko:.

Cav will be lead out by someone else, the Columbia train is a cracking force and we all know it. It's a shame that Renshaw is out, as evidently, he is the best lead out man for cav. I do not believe that he should of been excluded for his actions. Fined for the sweep across Tyler, but not excluded. Part and parcel, as he says.

montage

God Almighty
any videos or articles giving the official statement which says renshaw is eliminated?
Would be nice to see how it has been justified

col1888

Will be interesting to see if Dean or Farrar has complained . Dean is quite clearly leaning into Renshaw, who by his own admission did what he could to keep his line and avoid a crash. Think his little glance and change of line to send Farrar wide was naughty though ! But out of order if they have booted him out though ! I'm sure Cav will have plenty to say if they have !

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Seems harsh to me, visually it may look bad but it's hardly what you'd call a proper headbutt, I'd have thought elbows and shoulder barges would be more likely to cause a crash. Dean wanted to disrupt the HTC lead out and maybe knew he could get a reaction out of Renshaw, Aussies and Kiwis and all that.

The cutting off of Farrar was worse and that seemed spiteful to me as I didn't see him getting in contention anyway.

The cutting off of Farrar was worse and that seemed spiteful to me as I didn't see him getting in contention anyway.

For 1st no but 2nd yes, I think he would have beaten Petacchi, which would have made Hushovd and Petacchi equal on points. Farrar had to stop pedalling and slow to go around him, who knows 400 out he might even have pipped Cav out.

mark i

My take on it was that Dean was coming across the HTC train to push them into the barrier and box in cavendish, if memory serves me right it was this, but less obvious that got Cavendish de-classified from a stage last year, no word on anything for Dean on this. The headbut was a bit more visual.

The real problem was probably when Renshaw glanced over his shoulder and then deliberately moved across Ferrar. It was partly returning the favour, but also not required, Renshaw as "job done".

Seems a harsh penalty

any videos or articles giving the official statement which says renshaw is eliminated?
Would be nice to see how it has been justified
I was reading the one in cycling news it explains it but I don't know whether it justifies it :wacko:

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
I was reading the one in cycling news it explains it but I don't know whether it justifies it :wacko:
"I can't be out of the Tour de France if Barredo and Costa only got a fine a few days ago."
WTF? Does he really think that deliberately switching line to shove another sprinter into the barriers is the same as swapping handbags after the stage finished? :wacko:

Dean might have been a bit feisty but there was plenty of space to Renshaw's left. None of this "I had no choice, he was pushing me into the barriers" crap. They whinge worse than Alex Ferguson when he doesn't get ten minutes of extra time and a bonus penalty. :rolleyes:

montage

God Almighty
"I can't be out of the Tour de France if Barredo and Costa only got a fine a few days ago."
WTF? Does he really think that deliberately switching line to shove another sprinter into the barriers is the same as swapping handbags after the stage finished? :wacko:

Dean might have been a bit feisty but there was plenty of space to Renshaw's left. None of this "I had no choice, he was pushing me into the barriers" crap. They whinge worse than Alex Ferguson when he doesn't get ten minutes of extra time and a bonus penalty. :rolleyes:

There wasn't space on the left, not for Renshaw and Cav who would have needed to come round

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's

No, No, no, you can't be comparing this to football - I was listening to a rundown of the injuries sustained by riders that have continued in the Tour - I don't care how quickly these guys heal there's some serious dedication there. With all that pride and pressure the odd flare up in the sprint is going to happen. Dean was the instigator and some butts with a plastic helmet is nothing and that seems to be what the exclusion is for.

If the exclusion is actually for cutting off Farrar then it shows a huge amount on inconsistency as others haven't had that treatment in the past.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think the punishment was unduly harsh but Renshaw went beyond what's acceptable.
I seem to recall O'Grady and Macewen swapping blows some years back and just being demoted on the stage.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
There wasn't space on the left, not for Renshaw and Cav who would have needed to come round
Footage here
When Dean starts to pass and the head starts flying there is space, which then narrows. I'll concede that.

Please
don't try and argue that shoving Farrar into the barriers is ok though...

Someone elsewhere mentioned Renshaw elbowing Hushovd the other day. Perhaps he's just getting some delayed payback?

Top Bottom