Stage 12 **SPOILER**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Just wondering, if there's a stage with a lot of climbing will riders be using a double or triple set? Will they switch between the two if that's the case?

There was an evilly steep stage in the giro d'italia this year. They never (As far as I know) use tripples. In the giro stage, many used a 27 cassette with a 52/53 outer ring and a 34/36 inner.

montage

God Almighty
I don't like Vino, but he deserved today's stage, shame

Crankarm

Guru
There was an evilly steep stage in the giro d'italia this year. They never (As far as I know) use tripples. In the giro stage, many used a 27 cassette with a 52/53 outer ring and a 34/36 inner.

53/39 I think you'll find. Maybe they can get away with a 25 rear sprocket but I would be surprised if they went to 27.

I've ridden the Alps on a 39x25. If you are fit and light like these guys then 39x25 is plenty low enough.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Nope, montage is correct there was a stage on the Giro in 2009 where some were using 27 rear cog.

woohoo

Veteran
… and a bit of Googling revealed

Lennard Zinn reports from the 2010 Giro d'Italia:

I saw Ivan Basso riding nimbly in a 36 X 29, while Vincenzo Nibali and the rest of the Liquigas team struggled a bit more with the gear. But BMC's Cadel Evans was just barely behind Basso where he passed by with 3.5km to go, and he was doing fine with a 34 X 27. He has trained on the critical Giro mountain stages for weeks and knows what he wants on his Easton EC90SLX wheels adorning his BMC Team Machine SLR01. Julian Dean and other Garmin riders came by me with the same 34 X 27 gear.

Damiano Cunego, Gibo Simoni, and the other Lampre riders, as well as Pippo Pozzato and the other Katusha riders pushed their Campy setups all the way to 34 X 29

IIRC, on the 2007 Giro, some were using triples on one stage (can't remember which).

Crankarm

Guru
It was my impression we were discussing gearing on the TdF?

I have ridden the Aubisque, Soulor and Tourmalet on a 39x25 no problems. I also had 4 panniers and a trailer with a huge bag of spuds in. No the trailer and panniers are a joke, but I did ride UP on a 39x25 gear no problem and DOWN on a 53x12.

montage

God Almighty
It was my impression we were discussing gearing on the TdF?

I have ridden the Aubisque, Soulor and Tourmalet on a 39x25 no problems. I also had 4 panniers and a trailer with a huge bag of spuds in. No the trailer and panniers are a joke, but I did ride UP on a 39x25 gear no problem and DOWN on a 53x12.

I did say I was talking about the Giro in that post :biggrin:

And many riders definately rode a 52/34 (or similar....i.e. a standard big ring with a compact inner) and a 27 rear

Crankarm

Guru
I did say I was talking about the Giro in that post :biggrin:

And many riders definately rode a 52/34 (or similar....i.e. a standard big ring with a compact inner) and a 27 rear

Front doubles are typically 53/39.

52 is so 20th century ....

S'pose they could ride a compact chain set 50/34 although they would easily spin out of 50x12 or 50x11 on the descents.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist

S'pose they could ride a compact chain set 50/34 although they would easily spin out of 50x12 or 50x11 on the descents.

I think that on the serious alpine descents it is more about controlling acceleration and getting the perfect line than pushing on - you'd be spinning out of any gear you have once you get anywhere near the speeds with which they descend.

montage

God Almighty

I know! But they took a 53/34! I promise!
There was a really steep long climb (can't remember the name...I think cummings was on a break away during it if that helps) that had a 25% section or there abouts. They took the 34 inner ring so they could get up it, and took the 53 so that they could get down the mountains fast enough!

Sorry about mistaking the 52 for 53 :tongue:

Top Bottom