Stage 12 **SPOILER**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Andy schleck made intimations of intent, re today, in an interview last night. Not sure if he was serious or just trying to play mind games with Astana. But he came across as very confident and saying he had the legs and could go whenever he felt like it.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

I nearly put him in my fantasy team last night but I can't quite see him doing it. I think a break has a good chance today.

I've kept him in my team from day one, and today is his last chance before he gets punted in favout of someone else.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
This is a far more difficult stage than it might appear - I think t is breakaway territory but a breakaway for a determined group with significant climbing ability - perhaps not of the 'pure climber' type but of the 'strongman climber' type.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
SaxoBank to turn up the heat and isolate Bertie maybe?

it could actually be one in which some of those a little lower down the order try to push themselves into contention because the lumpiness of the stage will make it almost impossible to maintain a large stable peloton. I think the field will be all over the shop by the end.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Could be quite an interesting group if they manage to get rid of the 'big names' of Vino, Hesjedal and Kloden...some decent climbers in there including Moinard who I thought might do something during one of this years less mountainous but hilly stages but I'd wrongly guessed at stage 10...and he's got 2 ofhis team there to help him.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
it could actually be one in which some of those a little lower down the order try to push themselves into contention because the lumpiness of the stage will make it almost impossible to maintain a large stable peloton. I think the field will be all over the shop by the end.

true, I was just trying to make sense of the late push by Saxobank yesterday, it seemed far in excess of what was required to keep the yellow jersey safe. I wondered if maybe it was a bit of a prod just to see how the Astana legs were, maybe in preparation for a 'cunning plan'

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
...and lo! we have a substantial group with Kloden, Hejsdal, Vinokourov as well as climbers like Moinard... can they extend their lead? Hushovd is in there too but he may last only as long as the second intemediate sprint (are you watching and learning, Cav?)...

biking_fox

Guru
... Hushovd is in there too but he may last only as long as the second intemediate sprint (are you watching and learning, Cav?)...

Lampre are moving up trying to catch Thor to protect Petacchi in Green ... such things certainly enliven a "transition" stage.

On the BBC lins lots of people are saying they should alter the points for wins so that Cav can get the Green - as if it were a Sprinters jearsy rather than the Points one.

ETA - but Lampre have failed to do so, looks like Thor might well get the Green today.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Now we have a really interesting 'selection' - the guys I mentioned above, along with Kiryienka, but not including Moinard, have dropped the rest of the break. Hushovd sat up after winning the sprint, of course...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Contador, just wow... Schleck is being broken! But not too bad in the end, only loses 10 seconds.

But little groups all over the road... there will be a bit of shaking up in the lower reaches of the overall competition tonight.

Eoin Rua

Good finish, sucks for Vinokourov after having done all that work...that road after the climb looked like a dream to ride on - insanely smooth!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Good finish, sucks for Vinokourov after having done all that work...that road after the climb looked like a dream to ride on - insanely smooth!

I bet Vino's annoyed with Contador tonight. AC basically knackered his chances of a stage win to get 9 seconds back on Schleck and didn't even win the stage for Astana himself... I guess he's 'just a domestique' for the TdF but that's still going to smart...

Eoin Rua

Just wondering, if there's a stage with a lot of climbing will riders be using a double or triple set? Will they switch between the two if that's the case?

Top Bottom