Stage 13 ***SPOILER***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well deserved win for Vino today and if proof was ever needed that Cav doesn't need a lead out man today was it.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Or that his team can't control the race completely... but the biggest surprise of the day for me was Hushovd giving up the Green again. The ding-dong between him and Petacchi ironically leaves Cav with more of a shot at Green than he looked liked having... but I am guessing Thor will estimate that he has more of change of mini-breakaways and sprints points in the mountain stages. We shall see.

raindog

er.....
What a great stage that was, and it's a smack in the face for those who've been saying Cav can't win without a lead out. Counting the Champs I think there are two sprinter's stages left?

I know alot of people think it's uncool to like Vino, but I can't help it - well done - great win.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I found the stage itself a bit boring, zipped through most of it, but the end was good, excellent timing by Vino. I'm also really enjoying the interviews that Contador and Schleck are giving, at the moment I have Schleck winning the 'piss take' battle. Todays was a classic, the interviewer made a comparison between Contadors move at the end of yesterday and Schlecks move on the mountain finish. Schleck just said, but I won the stage, or words to that effect :biggrin: I was also wondering what the yellow jersey did to team morale from a cash perspective. I hadn't realised the yellow jersey wearer got 8k euros per day and that it was normally shared out with the whole team, riders, mechanics, the lot. That's going to amount to quite a few bob for the Saxobank setup.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Thor's sprinting is crap but he's still canny and powerful enough to make the intermediates and the fact this turned into a sprinters stage today has thrown the cat amongst the points competition. If Cav was to win both of the remaining stages, it means Hushovd can't finish worse than 4th or fifth and Pettachi virtually the same or Cav's got it in Paris. Of course if either of them pick up intermediates or finish higher then it doesn't matter. Hushovd should pick up intermediates and Pettachi should finish higher, if he finishes, so it's going to go down to the last sprint I think.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
As the green jersey was originally intended to reward the most consistant daily finisher I think it has been devalued by awarding points for intermediate sprints. I am sure that in the past they had a seperate hotspots sprint competition where the leader wore a red jersey, unless my aging brain cells are imagining things.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
If yours are imagining it then mine are imagining the same thing. I've had a few beers mind you. And not just tonight either.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
As the green jersey was originally intended to reward the most consistant daily finisher I think it has been devalued by awarding points for intermediate sprints. I am sure that in the past they had a seperate hotspots sprint competition where the leader wore a red jersey, unless my aging brain cells are imagining things.

I agree. TH is neither the best sprinter nor the best all rounder. Spurious jersey

Noodley

I agree. TH is neither the best sprinter nor the best all rounder. Spurious jersey

Much the same could be said about past yellow jersey wearers who have won due to TTT or ITT or taking big time on a mountain stage....

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Much the same could be said about past yellow jersey wearers who have won due to TTT or ITT or taking big time on a mountain stage....

Well they did at least get round the course in a shorter time than the rest!

The intermediate sprints are usually mopped up by the breakaway so are largely irrelevant

Noodley

The intermediate sprints are usually mopped up by the breakaway so are largely irrelevant

They'd be much better if others had the same attitude as Thor and saw the significance of competing for them rather than waiting til the end sprint....

Top Bottom