Stage 16 Spoiler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
With Lance's TT ability he should have gone a few km out from the finish - did he really think he could win a sprint?

I don't see the point of these epic mountain stages with flat finishes; as we saw yesterday, it does nothing for the GC. Nobody will attack for GC time because any gains will be lost in the approach to the finish, so why bother having 4 huge climbs in 1 day. I vote for more mountain top finishes.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
With Lance's TT ability he should have gone a few km out from the finish - did he really think he could win a sprint?

I don't see the point of these epic mountain stages with flat finishes; as we saw yesterday, it does nothing for the GC. Nobody will attack for GC time because any gains will be lost in the approach to the finish, so why bother having 4 huge climbs in 1 day. I vote for more mountain top finishes.

That was the general opinion too on 'Chat' yesterday during the race. A waste of 4 great climbs in my opinion neutralised by the long run in.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
That was the general opinion too on 'Chat' yesterday during the race. A waste of 4 great climbs in my opinion neutralised by the long run in.

The point was that this stage was designed as a tribute to a historic 1969 stage won by an awesome breakaway by Eddy Merckx. There's a mountain-top finish tomorrow, not every stage needs to finish in the same way, and some stages are about attrition, endurance, mountain points and so on, not all about the 'finish'. And perhaps it also shows that there is no-one riding right now of Merckx's level of dominance...

That's the result certainly but I'm not sure why that would be the intention though.
To build up anticipation? That was the idea of having Ventoux right at the end of last years Tour and this year we have the Tourmalet, followed by the ITT. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I can see the logic.

Top Bottom