STAGE 17 **SPOILER**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cobblers. ;)

If you offered me Wiggy in the top ten GC before the race, I'd have taken it and I bet he would too. But he got close enough for me to get hooked. I just hope he rips it tomorrow....

Paul_L

Über Member
It's really weird but i feel gutted that Wiggo (by recent days) had a bad day, which is strange as he came home 7th on the day.

Hope he can make a couple of mins of the Shlecks tomorrow and give himself chance for a podiium.

Hang in there Wiggo, and give it some tomorrow!

What a brilliant stage, Armstrong looked like his old self, and I think Wiggo will do well tomorrow, but I do think that come the Ventoux, its every man for himself, which will be interesting, as I don't think Astana can control the Schleck brothers, and I think Lance will finish 4th.

How much time are we talking between tomorrows winner -> shleck bros -> armstrong -> wiggo? (not in that order, obviously)

I've no idea how much the gaps are in time trials such as this

Will1985

Über Member
The time gaps tonight are as follows:

Contador - 2'26" - A Schleck - 0'59" - F Schleck - 0'30" - Armstrong - 0'49" - Kloden - 0'09" - Wiggins - 0'16" - Nibali

The key figures are that Wiggins is 2'27" off Andy and 1'29" off Armstrong.

Note that I've left Franck out of the equation - he is the worst time triallist of the top 7...remember that Sastre caught him for 3 minutes last year, and he finished 1'18" below Contador in Monaco on a short hilly course. Speaking of last year, only 3 of the top 7 competed last year in the 53km TT - Andy was 4' down on dopehead Schumacher, then Nibali and Franck were both about 5'30" down.

Annecy is obviously a lot longer and favours flat time triallists like Wiggins even though there is a bump at 25km. This works against both Schlecks straight away. If Wiggo has recovered nicely, he might come out on top of the 7, but almost certainly 2nd to Cancellara.

I've done some basic (and obviously flawed) calculations by multiplying the Monaco time gaps off Contador by 2.5 (essentially going from a 10 mile TT to a 25). The GC would then look like this: Contador, Andy, Armstrong, Kloden, Wiggins, Nibali, Franck (with just 6 seconds between Armstrong and Wiggins).

The problem is that with Armstrong effectively unproven at the longer Tour TTs for a few years, we don't know how he will fare. On the other hand, Kloden is a strong time triallist who finished 3rd on St13 in the 2007 tour...ahead of Wiggins.

In reality I think it is far too close to call for 2nd, 3rd and 4th at the end of tomorrow. To use a Liggett-ism, you'll be able to throw a blanket over Armstrong, Kloden and Wiggins. My guess is that whatever happens, Wiggins will be at least a minute up on the Schlecks...we'll have to wait until Ventoux to see if that is enough.

Nice calculations Will - I just hope that there is some form of 'internet energy forum transfer osmosis conductor mechanism' that gets all our goodwill and oxygen into Wiggins' lungs later today!
Good luck to everyone - may the best man win.

NickM

Veteran
Pottsy said:
IT'll be interesting to see how tired Wiggins will be after today (and the last 3 weeks) and how that might affect his TT tomorrow.
His performance at the end-of-the-Giro TT tends to indicate that his powers of recovery are as good as anybody else's :smile:

Go Bradley Wiggo!

Top Bottom