Stage 17 SPOILER

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
maybe they should start to employ team tactics al la F1... so that say half way up the Tourmalet Fabian Cancellara could have steered his bike flat out into Contador's thus allowing Andy Shleck to escape to a well deserved victory :whistle:
... or like the final lead-out guy in the sprint, when moving over, chooses the side when the main perceived threat is coming ..... :eek:

mangaman

... or like the final lead-out guy in the sprint, when moving over, chooses the side when the main perceived threat is coming ..... :eek:

Er - I think Mark Renshaw's already done that :smile:

Willo

Typically - I forgot to set the bleeding Sky Plus today (why doesn't Eurosport have series link?)

How were the 2 at the end - did Andy still seem pissed off with Bertie or did they show some mutual respect at the end?

Sounded like an amazing spectacle

The highlights show works on Series link (well most of the time unless Eurosport juggle their schedule at short notice). Harman and Kelly have confirmed themselves as my favourites this tour in watching both them and ITV4.

Even though nothing in it at the end, have to be impressed to see them go up today. I think it's always looks more dramatic to see them cycling through the clouds rather than the sunshine. Schlek's come across well on this tour, and I enjoyed watching him stare out Contador today even if he couldn't break him down. Suspect the TT will see AC wipe out any doubt, but it would be horrible if the time gained on the chain stage became the margin.

mangaman

The highlights show works on Series link (well most of the time unless Eurosport juggle their schedule at short notice).

Thanks Willo - although I've left it a bit late to find out :blush:

As you say - they aren't good at juggling their schedules. I gather it's up to the TV stations to alert Sky if a programme time will change and the sky + will automatically change. Eurosport don't do that.

Having said that - the coverage on Eurosport has been excellant for me. James Richardson is learrning year by year about cycling and now seems to really like it. Stephen Roche has been great - especially with the insights from his son.

Harmon and Kelly are the kings of commentary for me.

We've had whole stages from start to finish and I've been interested. It must be virtually impossible to commentate for that long alone for 3 weeks and not become too boring - I think Dave Harmon gets as close as anyone.

And he rides the finishes sometimes and gives little titbits of insider knowledge.

Sean Kelly is, of course, a legend.

Globalti

Legendary Member
From the look of him I reckon Contador could have blown Schleck away any time he fancied. How do those barstewards manage to climb for so long out of the saddle? What would have happened if Contador had had a mechanical during the climb?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'm undecided on this, I sort of agree with Roche that the tactics were lacking from Schleck, did he really think he'd ride Contador off his wheel? But if they are this closely matched it seems a shame that the whole tour will really come down to time trialling. Call me old fashioned but I find the whole team setups, peleton control and predictability a bit boring at times. For something that's meant to be a race a heck of a lot of it looks like a training run.

MajorMantra

Good photos here:

http://www.steephill.tv/2010/tour-de-france/photos/stage-17/

That was one of the best bits of TV I've seen in a while. Just wish Schleck had got away. Having grown up in Lux I have to root for him.

Globalti

Legendary Member
So how come, when he tried, about 3ks from the summit, Andy stayed with him?

I think he struggled; Contador could have dropped him at that point IMO but he didn't want to; he was showing Schleck he could whip him any time but was going to give him the stage as a consolation prize. I don't like him: I worked in Spain for a year and I know his type.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's not racism; that's just plain unfounded prejudice. I never mentioned his race (except the Tour de France of course, ha ha ha).

raindog

er.....
I think he struggled; Contador could have dropped him at that point IMO but he didn't want to; he was showing Schleck he could whip him any time but was going to give him the stage as a consolation prize. I don't like him: I worked in Spain for a year and I know his type.
He couldn't drop Andy, and Andy couldn't drop him. I'm pretty sure Berto would've loved to take that stage, but he couldn't.

I echo Flying Monkey's comment about racism. I enjoy participating on this forum, but it can be a strange agressive place sometimes. Not very nice, really.

Nurse! Globalti has dropped his monocle and needs his bath chair wheeling out the sun and send the manservant with the fan to cool him down please.

Top Bottom