Stage 5 - spoiler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
vino came in 1.20 down by my watch :?:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
What a bore, I'm going to miss the highlights. Shoulda given the evening 10 a miss tonight. ITV 4 and a coupla beers instead.

Still, it isn't raining yet.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Excellent stage.

Funny, but I find it difficult to be overly sympathetic to Vino. There's something about the whole Astana set up I don't like. It doesn't seem to exude the sort of sqeaky clean image I was hoping to see this year in the Tour.

spesh

Tim Bennet. said:
Excellent stage.

Funny, but I find it difficult to be overly sympathetic to Vino. There's something about the whole Astana set up I don't like. It doesn't seem to exude the sort of sqeaky clean image I was hoping to see this year in the Tour.

This business with the team cars being cleared from behind the peloton after Vino's crash, unlike for other riders caused a few raised eyebrows on the ITV team.

Anyone for the conspiracy theory? :?: :sad: :?:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Yes, they certainly were saying it was unfair, but they also thought he had been hit by a motorcyclist, whereas other people think he just had a puncture / mechanical. Does that make a difference to a riders culpability? Don't know.

But it was much later in the race than with the other examples they gave and I should think the commissaires were pretty nervous about that last hill. I guess the last thing they would have wanted was riders passing through the cars on the decent! Perhps they were just overly cautious.

SamNichols

given that fact that Kloeden got to follow the cars, it certainly doesn't have something to do with the team itself.

The mixed reaction of Astana versus the rest of the riders was good, the jist seemed to be - Astana: 'if one of the favourites gets left behind now. we definitely won't go back for him.'
The rest: 'He's the favourite, there's no way we were going back for him.'

And yes, there is something about the whole Astana set up that seems a little dodgy.

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
I also have reservations about Astana but can't put my finger on what it is. The finish was good though and Friere put up a good fight in the end, again I'm suprised by the apparent lack of form by Boonen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monty Dog

I find the attitude to Astana perplexing - if they are guilty by association, which is the only inference we can make, then applying the same logic, Discovery, CSC and Quick Step are at least as culpable. Vino demonstrated the tenacity that shows he's a valued protagonaist and without his attacking style, cycling would be at a loss as a spectacle - at least it makes it exciting rather than the boring procession that the Tour has been reduced to in recent years.

Top Bottom