Stags Horn bl**dy Sumach

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
_20190713_112016.JPG

One of these :rolleyes:

Cut down (twice) by neighbours as it was getting rather out of hand. Not sure if it started out in their garden, of ours, as it's pushed the fence panels apart and had grown into both properties.
I put killing stuff (can't remember what) into the stump, but it's sprouting into the lawn.

DSC_1742.JPG

Original growing spot was behind my wellies.
And, yes, I know the fence needs a coat of summat! :whistle:

_20190713_111207.JPG

It's popping up a good 6 or 7 yards away, now, with a solid lump under the new growth.

Any suggestions or solutions from the CC Massive?

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Mrs WTT (an horticulturist by trade) says: "You need to paint the shoots with a systemic herbicide (Glyphosate) such as Gallup which is available on Amazon. Apply to all visible shoots but don't cut the shoots off. Protect surrounding areas and be careful when applying it. It could damage the lawn, so paint on the shoots carefully with a small brush. Wear gloves and perhaps eye protection in case of splashes. You then need to wait a few weeks as it will work its way down the shoots to kill the main plant. You may wish to paint any new shoots that appear as well."

Good luck! :okay:

tom73

Guru
Not easy one Rhus is well know for sucker growth. Often get this problem in lawns If you can carefully strip back the turf exposing the root then pull it (cutting make's most suckers grow more) Idealy as close to the place it was growing. You can spray them off but will kill the grass too.
You can also try but it will take time is just keep cutting the top off's till it dies off.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Mrs WTT (an horticulturist by trade) says: "You need to paint the shoots with a systemic herbicide (Glyphosate) such as Gallup which is available on Amazon. Apply to all visible shoots but don't cut the shoots off. Protect surrounding areas and be careful when applying it. It could damage the lawn, so paint on the shoots carefully with a small brush. Wear gloves and perhaps eye protection in case of splashes. You then need to wait a few weeks as it will work its way down the shoots to kill the main plant. You may wish to paint any new shoots that appear as well."

Good luck! :okay:
One suggestion I just read was actually coat your gloves in the weed killer then stroke all over the shoots.
Another suggestion was to cut a band of bark from around the main trunk(s) to starve the tree.
As my other posts demonstrate I am a cr*p gardener but this interested me as 25 years ago I planted a lovely (snowball) bush. No one told me it was so invasive. I dug it up 15 years ago but still get shoots coming through.
I wish you the best with it.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Thanks, folks. I've thought about a systematic killer, but don't want lots of dead bits of lawn as well.
I might have to lift some of the grass, apply killer, and re-lay the turf around it.
Hopefully, it'll work its way back through the sucker system!

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Thanks, folks. I've thought about a systematic killer, but don't want lots of dead bits of lawn as well.
I might have to lift some of the grass, apply killer, and re-lay the turf around it.
Hopefully, it'll work its way back through the ducker system!

You just spray it on the target plant's leaves, and with care, shouldn't be too much on the lawn itself. As said upthread, you need to leave it a couple of weeks before much happens, and don't pull up the plant till it's dead. Best done during the growing season when there are active leaves to spray. I think you can buy a dab-it-on version too which would reduce the risk of overspray

kapelmuur

Veteran
Just keep mowing it off if it’s in a lawn. It should gradually weaken and die as no plant can live without leaves.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

I've been mowing it off, but there's hard nodules just under the surface that's showing through the grass.

It's not a show lawn, it's a grandkids football/play lawn, but I do want it to look reasonable.

I saw this yesterday on Facebook and thought it looked quite interesting.

https://lcpshop.net/product/hydro-m...G8-yCh0i4g_2EAQYASABEgKRlPD_BwE#googtrans(no)

As a greenkeeper I'm interesetd in grass growth: this might be worth considering.

However, if the ground is contaminated with (the above-mentioned) Roundup, you may need to dig it up or maybe saturate it with water too flush it away, if the amount wasn't too concentrated.

Top Bottom